Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question might have been posted before but I couldn't find it,,
I'm about to look for a AOD for my 67FB, going to install a 351W later on..what years should I be looking at for an AOD?
Will any AOD bolt in even from trucks?
any help will be appreciated

Tony

·
6,854 Posts
I think the trucks got the E40D, which is different. The later the better. You want one from a V8. The most common might be one form a 5.0 l mustang ('93 or before). The T-bird turbo coupe (while NOT a v8) is supposedly the best AOD ever made...for what that's worth. I can't imagine it would be easy to find one in a junk yard.

Good Luck

Phil

·
Registered
981 Posts
it would be the t-bird supercoupe not turbo,then the gt mustangs mentioned and the 89 and newer mark VII's.you may want to check into buying a transmission already built from an aftermarket source such as lentech.I went out and bought one to rebuild and then found out it was cheaper just to buy one done already.I have seen them as cheap as 600.00 and over 3000.00 in the late model mustang mags.depends on what you want.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
If you're looking for a used one, any 82-93 from a 302 or 351W will work. Baumann Engineering says the pre 89's had rear pump lubrication problems. You "can" use one from a 3.8 V6 car. It has less torque capacity due to fewer clutches in it. If you just want one to rebuild, a 3.8 would be fine as long as you mention it came from a V6 and is going into a V8. They'll know to add the extra clutches.
I prefer to use an AOD out of a Mustang or Tbird with the floor shift (all Mustangs and about 3/4's of the Tbirds) because the shift linkage is correct. You can use an AOD from a column shift car (Crown Vic, F150, etc) but you have to drop the pan to turn the linkage around for floor shift use.
Most Town Cars and F series trucks(but not all of them) use an AOD with a 1 inch longer tail shaft than usual. This doesn't affect anything but the length of your driveshaft.
The only AOD I would personally avoid is one from a 4WD, their tailshaft is radically different.
I've got a rebuilt AOD from an 83 Crown Vic cop car in my F150 and have been quite happy with it. I'd love to have one from a SuperCoupe, but any rebuilder can upgrade an AOD to SuperCoupe specs or better.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is where I purchased mine. Lentech

The stock AOD has a 1st, 3rd, 4th shift pattern which makes for poor acceleration from a start. You have to trick it by shifting from 1st to 4th and back to 3rd to get into 2nd gear. The Lentech valve body is configured to manually shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd then it will automatically shift to OD at the proper RPM or you can set OD up with push button activation.

Mine has been bulletproof for over a year now with about 6000 miles on it. Alot of it was manually shifting.

There are lots of other rebuilders. Ask about the shift patterns and valvebody upgrades. Don't settle for stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts