Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about the shift linkage for my 289/AOD combo. Went underneath to check things out and I realized that the shift lever is pointed down. Is this too much of a PIA to do when the trans is already in the car? Could I use the trans the way it is if I went to an aftermarket shifter instead of the stock one that uses a cable instead of a rod? Any ideas on what type of shifter this would be and how much it may cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I think it would be a lot simpler, and probably cheaper in the long run, if you just got the conversion lever and rod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you think just dropping the pan and flipping the lever? Or do they sell a piece that will allow me to use the rod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a B&M shifter that I was going to use earlier on but decided against it in favor of the stock shifter. Could I use the cable for this shifter or would it still be the rod? If I can use this and go with the cable I'd go with it for now and save the stock shifter in case I ever wanted to go back to it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
When I installed my AODE I got away with using a piece of all thread with some ball-link swivel ends on it for a shifter link rod. Of course you have to make sure that everything clearances. It may be something to look into but there are no guarantees that it will work for you.

The lever is easy to rotate with the trans in the car. Just drop the pan, loosen the nut on the inside that secures the lever and flip the lever 180*.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts