Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice from anyone familiar with the AOD transmission. I removed my perfectly operating AOD to install a higher stall speed torque converter. Now it won’t shift out of 1st. Only reverse and 1st work. I chatted with TCI about it and they suggested the governor was stuck or something in the valve body stuck. I’ve removed and thoroughly cleaned the governor and it still won’t shift out of 1st. The AOD has a shift kit with constant pressure making the TV cable adjustment far less critical, meaning that I don’t believe the issue is with the TV adjustment.

It worked perfectly prior to removal, what could I have done to it?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Despite the constant pressure, you still need a properly adjusted tv cable. That's the first place I'd look.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
its your TV adjustment. do you have the lokar TV cable and bracket? The instructions that come with it are not correct.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its your TV adjustment. do you have the lokar TV cable and bracket? The instructions that come with it are not correct.
How are the instructions not correct? I do have the Lokar cable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for everything you ever wanted to know about an AOD, go to Click Click Racing Forums The moderator, silver fox, is a guru on AOD's and free to share his knowledge.

Gary
I'll check it out thanks.

I've had the AOD in there since ~1995. Several different carbs, an engine swap and a couple of TV cable systems so I've adjusted the TV cable more than a few times. I'm fairly confident that there is something else going on. TCI suggested a stuck governor or something in the valve body.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How are the instructions not correct? I do have the Lokar cable.
The lokar instructions want you to use their "spacer" tool to give slack in the cable. In my experience, that slack did not give the minimal line pressure when idling and had funny shifting. I ditched those instructions and went with the advice from badshoe's AOD rebuild video. He instructed to have "slack tension". Basically no slack in cable (no spacer) but not under any tension. He also advised to make sure you had the ability to achieve wide open throttle. That is what I did and had success. I am not currently running an AOD, but the few conversions I messed with did fine with this type of adjustment. Just my .02.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
" the advice from badshoe's AOD rebuild video"

I used his videos when I rebuilt my AOD. He does a really good job of explaining the aspects of an AOD and how to make it long lasting. He has some videos on youtube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts