Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it installed. I have driven it. I gotta say its nice to have 2nd gear back :)

It obviously drives a lot different. Going from a stock stall to 2600 will do that. I get a LOT of low end revs without a lot of movement. The car still rolls at idle, just not as much. It's nice, I dont have to stand on the brake to keep the car stationary. I can light them up by sneezing too hard and jerking my foot. That is nice :) Shifts are snappy and firm.

Now for the "undecided." I havent been able to get the car into Park. It is most likely the linkage rod that I bought for the conversion. I have modded this rod to the point that I could have built my own. If you want my opinion, dont buy it. Get some threaded rod adn bend it to your hearts content, but dont spend the money on this POS (FYI, I got it from NPD, but its a Windsor-Fox piece).

OD isnt cooperating. Going down the highway, I fully expect that OD would kick in by 60 MPH. It didnt. I could trigger it to go by downshifting and shifting back to OD, but I had to be going at least 60. This problem I am going to (for the time being) attribute to the 3.00 gears I have out back. I think once I raise the RPM range I run with the 3.89 center section DENVER is building for me, that hte od will want to kick in.

I havent had much luck kicking down to lower gears, but that could also be in relation to the OD problem.

The 2400-2600 stall REALLY gives the car a different feel... one I am not sure I like. I seem to have to rev it to get it to move with any speed. I also think that I will like things much more with the 3.89 gears. If not, I will swap it out this winter when I overhaul the engine (Art Carr has a program where they will help you fine tune the convertor for a cut rate).

So, overall, I am reserving final judgement, but if those above issues can be resolved (which I think they can), then I am a HAPPY boy! Now all I need is for DENVER to get my center to me. Come on DENVER!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have the AOD with 2.79 gears and it shifts into OD at about 42 mph. It could be your high stall affecting it, or an adjustment somewhere.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
that converter would probably be really cool though , bc u can power brake it and launch real well though i bet !. those 3.89's will really help with acceleratiomn, but the thing is, in stop and go traffic those higher stalls get annoying, and the whole idea of them is to have real nice launches for better acceleration. i thought about buying one for my C4 when i was having it rebuilt, i could have gotten a great deal on one but i figured, it would be a pain to drive every day bc my stang is a dailey driver. leaving the line and being able to power brake would be cool but, i dont think it would offset the annoyance of one y' know ? ...although, i would love to be able to leave the line at over2k lol

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have the Windsor Fox shift linkage in mine and love it. It took about 1/2 or so to get it dialed in, but I didn't have to change a single thing on it. I bought mine directly from WF, though. The stock shifter works perfectly with it, although my shift indicator lights aren't quite right. This, was a problem, though, even before the AOD ... I figure it's just more crappy repro parts (the '65/'66 console shift indicator).

I was running 2.79 gears with my AOD, and mine would shift into OD at about 55mph if I was cruising on flat ground. It would shift later if going up a hill, and woul hold to around 80 if I was getting on it.

I now have the 3.50 gears in it and I think it shifts to OD at about 45 if I'm cruising (my speedo is about 10mph off now at 45mph). The taller rear gears, definately changed the way it shifts. It RIPS through 1st now and is in 2nd almost instantly.

·
Registered
657 Posts
LOL....not hardly....I hit about 1400 rpm at road highway speed.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Did you put any sort of shift kit in the tranny? I'm getting ready to put my AOD in shortly. I also so on the Edelbrock website that you can't hook up an AOD to a 1406 4V...what carb are you running? Visiting the Kruise auction in Auburn Labor Day weekend?

PS I was born in Fort Wayne and just bought my convertible in Warsaw! Small world.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tinkered with the TV cable, but not too much as the LAST thing I want is for this thing to fry.

It probably is the stall... which is why I think the gearing will fix it. I want it to shift between 50 and 60. With 3.89 gears my RPM's will get above the stall on the convertor, and shift.

At least that is what I am hanging my hat on for the moment :)

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad it worked for you. I know both dodge and myself have had to shorten ours. I got mine from NPD, he got hsi from WF (I think). It's not a big deal, but after paying the $60 for it or whatever it was, I would rather had ade my own knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
When I installed my WF linkage rod I had to play with the shifter handle end to get the right shifter positions. If you cant get it into park you need to loosen the allen screw and move it down on the shifter lever. With a little time you should be able to get it to drop into the correct gear and detents on the shifter. Part of your shifting into od can be caused by this also, if the valve body is in between d and od your pressures will not be correct and shifting will not occur. Moving the shifter could be making it closer to the od position and then you get your shift. Also, with the high stall converter you will have higher pressures due to higher rpm from the stall, once the converter goes into direct drive (3rd and 4th) the pressures would be back to normal because of the lockup in those gears.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine isnt a lock-up.

I am going to call Art Carr again (again). They need to answer some questions for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My AOD TV linkage installed directly onto my 1406.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts