Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my C4 in my 64 1/2 Coupe. I have the clutch linkage, clutch pedal and bellhousing that originally came with the car. It originally had a toploader 4 speed. I have a 5 bolt block. My thoughts are, a T5 or and AOD. Which would be easier to do.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Another question would be which would you enjoy more?

Nothing like manually throwing through the gears, IMO.

The only plus, from my point of view, of an AOD is the overdrive factor. You could put a killer rear gear in it and still get highway MPG.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love my AOD. But I drove a T-5 with hydraulic clutch last night and OH MY was it nice. The clutch took no work at all.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But what is the easiest conversion to make, T5 or AOD? I understand I may need an adapter plate to mate an AOD to my 5 bolt block and an adapter plate to a five bolt manual bellhousing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I say try and find a 5 bolt manual bellhousing since you already have the other essentials to make the swap work.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do already have the 5 bold manual bellhousing. It was in the trunk of the car along with the Z bar and the clutch linkage when I bought the car. Either way, I'll need a preasure plate or a flex plate depending upon which route I take. I would like to make it as simple as possible.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,666 Posts
Sounds like the simplest way would be to use an adapter between a T5 and your 5 bolt bellhousing to go 5 speed. Perhaps I haven't been paying enough attention but I don't know of a way to adapt a 6 bolt AOD to a 5 bolt block.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
T5 all the way I can't believe you have to ask :) I would go with any manual transmission but my car was auto so it looks like I'll be putting in my AOD soon. Eventually I'd like a T56 in my 68.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You aint driving unless you are shifting. Even more so with american muscle cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts