Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an aod question for you guys. the trans in question was installed in an 82 F-150 with 31's and like a 2.78 or so rear end.it pulled first, second and third gears fine, and would continue accelerating in third until it pegged the speedometer out. sometimes i'd bump it into overdrive and it would seriously bog and lose all power. it wouldn't pull itself period, even on level ground. the trans was filled with type F fluid when all this was occuring. I"m about to reinstall this trans into the truck and change fluid, filter, drain torque, ect. anybody know if the fluid/tires/rear gears was causing this problem or is the trans shot? also would an improperly adjusted TV rod cause this? it was close enough for the trans to shift on its own, but sometimes when the trans was cold you had to back out of it to get the 1-2 shift. Thanks in Advance!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
A misadjusted TV cable will effect all shifts, not just 3-4 or 1-2. When you say "sometimes when the trans was cold you had to back out of it to get the 1-2 shift", do you mean you have to back off the throttle some for it to shift? If so, that could be caused by a bad governor, a sticky Throttle Valve (TV), or a sticky 1-2 accumulator. When cold, are the other shifts ok?

I think it's time to at least pull the valve body and make sure the 1-2 accumulator and the 3-4 accumulator have tight seals, but don't bind up or get stuck. Also manually work all valves in the valve body looking for sticky valves. Any valves that stick, remove them, clean them well and stick them back in. If the accumulators are sticking, you need to clean out their cylinders and probably replace their o-rings.

I haven't pulled the governor out on mine yet, so can't give any advice on how to do that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, i mean back off the throttle, it only does it once..and very rarely when its cold.

the 1-2-3 shifts are perfect just about, no hesitation at all, no slippage in the trans. the OD shift was pathetic, causing the engine to bog.

It wouldn't even pull itself out of its own way.

If its something internal its just gonna get a fluid/filter change, drain the torque and drive it till it quits, so i'll sure enough need a rebuild to some better specs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't know, i guess the aod was from a late 80's model car, i think a t-bird..the whole engine/trans combo was from this car..it was done by a local shop.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It sounds to me like you have two different sets of gear clutches engaging in od. The bog may be caused by the tranny trying to lock up when two gears are trying to engage at the same time. Check your valve body and governor as Johnpro says..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts