Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was asking a few questions to LMM today, and they said they have both manufacturers of shells (1967).. Don't have a price on the Dynacorn one yet, but what's the difference (I know.. 'fitment', but anything specific)? Would like to buy a used original locally but not sure if it's going to happen (Well, I can say, it's not, at this point).

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found out the Dynacorn is about $70 more at $320.. Pretty sure I could find an original for much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
JohnnyK said:
Found out the Dynacorn is about $70 more at $320.. Pretty sure I could find an original for much cheaper than that.
... and how much rust will you find in the bottom and front corner when you clean it up?

... and how many dings will you have to remove?

... and how much of the edges will you have to straighten?

... and how well rustproofed is the inside?

... and how long before the hidden cancer makes it's appearance?

Assuming their shells are as well-made as the other pieces I've seen, it's probably worth the money. That is, unless free time is abundant and your labor is worthless.

I've gone through a number of orignal doors looking for "winners" for my car. The two I ended up with were the best I've ever seen, but even those took several hours to repair. And I know there's still rust I couldn't see or get to lurking...

I guess if you can find truly solid originals cheap enough...

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I can't win. Everyone says stay away from repro anythings! Now I say I should find an original door, and this! :D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Granted, it's hard to figure out which repo stuff is good and which is not. Much is not "up to snuff", but some of it is as good or better than original.

I found my Dynacorn lower cowl to be flawless. Their floor pans look awesome, too. I'm sure there are other parts on which they do a great job, too. I bought a pair of Scott Drake inside door openers for my car and they're better than the originals! I've found most repop harnesses to be quite good. There are numerous examples of well-made reproductions.

I get the feeling that no one makes a fender that fits as well as an original Ford does, though. So, if I were in need of a fender, I'd try my best to find a good original. My DS fender had been hit and fixed and took hours to resurrect. But, since I couldn't find a good original to replace it, I put in the time instead of fighting a repop that's expensive to start with.

I'm just saying that the Dynacorn doors might be "that good" and worth the money. You need to find people with hands-on experience with them. And, you need to really think about what your time is worth to you, and how close to "perfect" you need to get with your door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts