Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of letting my Mustang go this year and looking into selling options. I'm having a tough time coming up with a good selling price to ask and thinking of getting it appraised. A friend of mine had his appriased by Auto Appraisal Group. It costs about $300, but the benefit is that I have a better idea of what it's worth and can also give the same assurance to a potential buyer from an unbiased source.

Do you think this is worth doing? If you know of some better means or other appraisers, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I perform several appraisals each year for people selling their vehicles and don't know how to price it.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
$300 is pretty salty, but a professional appraisal is an excellent bargaining tool.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Auto Appraisal Group charges about double what every one else does.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IMO an appraisal is a good idea. Many people set their expectation on sources like Blue Book, Edmunds, NADA, Old Car price guide but their's at least two problems. Usually these lists are based on a sampling of selling prices where the real condition is not known. On the other side the seller may not realistically set the condition.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well it sounds like overall it could be a good idea, but check out the competition for a better price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
+1 to that, and that is even comparing Canada to USA prices.
Just make sure that you compare what you are getting for the price. Often, the higher price appraisal gives you a more detailed package. I just had mine appraised for $300 but the fellow spent 1.5 hrs on the car and over 75 photographs.

Now, in your case if you just want a number, then a less expensive and maybe less detailed report is in order.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
You car is worth $125,000 Johnny.

Based on $10/hour labour for construction :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did some searching and the only reputable looking appraisers either charged as much or more, or weren't nearby, including appraiser networks. So I'm going with Auto Appraiser Group.

I was also thinking of sending my car info to KAR Mustang to see what they tell me they would be willing to give me for it, even though it would be a lowball amount, it wouldn't cost me anything.

Anyone have any opinions about auctions. Mecum does one in a city near me every year.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
As far as your car curious,it's a d code,Is it a coupe or convertible,stick/auto, options,restored, original low mileage,etc.? As far as appraisals,I don't put much faith in them.They may sound good but I don't think they really have any affect on the actual sale price,If a car is worth $20k does it matter that the person has a piece of paper saying it's worth $50k.Kind of like The real estate market,I seem to recall some people getting some pretty high appraisals,yet they couldn't get those numbers when it came time to sell. As far as pricing what about listing some facts and possibly photos about your car.I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can give you a ball park figure. As far as auctions that would be up to you,in the grand scheme of things you could always list your car on ebay with a high reserve and see what the car might bring,I think that would only cost you about $125 or so.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
As far as your car curious,it's a d code,Is it a coupe or convertible,stick/auto, options,restored, original low mileage,etc.? As far as appraisals,I don't put much faith in them.They may sound good but I don't think they really have any affect on the actual sale price,If a car is worth $20k does it matter that the person has a piece of paper saying it's worth $50k.Kind of like The real estate market,I seem to recall some people getting some pretty high appraisals,yet they couldn't get those numbers when it came time to sell. As far as pricing what about listing some facts and possibly photos about your car.I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can give you a ball park figure. As far as auctions that would be up to you,in the grand scheme of things you could always list your car on ebay with a high reserve and see what the car might bring,I think that would only cost you about $125 or so.
I agree with putting it on Ebay. You don't have to sell it on there, set the price high and if it's getting close to what you think it's worth to you, then drop the reserve. Auctions are fun and can bring some good money, but also put a reserve on the car there too. Evay gives a pretty good real market price of what cars are going for. Look at Hemmings too.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The value of a sell appraisal is that the research should show what a reasonable price range is.

If the owner truly does not know what the market is and where their car sits in it you could very well have a nice K code 2+2 getting an offer of $5,000 and accepting it when many others would pay $40k +

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
if you give us here at the forum an honest description of your car ,options, recent work or improvements,pictures ect we can come pretty close in value what it should go for. wes

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
There is a point of diminshing returns.
I agree to a point. But if the insurance company should want to decline/short a claim because the appraisal does not illustrate the items in question, I'd be happy with the $300 appraisal bill that quantifies and illustrates everything on a heavily customized car.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I agree to a point. But if the insurance company should want to decline/short a claim because the appraisal does not illustrate the items in question, I'd be happy with the $300 appraisal bill that quantifies and illustrates everything on a heavily customized car.
A $300 appraisal for insurance purposes with 75+ pictures is way overboard.

An insurance company will not deny/short a claim based on anything other than an in person inspection by an adjuster to find out why the fender bender is worth extra. I have done an appraisal for a 1970 Boss 429 that was involved in a collision. The insurance company did not blink at paying $4,200 for an NOS Boss 429 hood. Insurance companies are used to modern cars having damage in the 10's of thousands of dollars.

The only time an appraisal to that extent is justified is a pre-purchase one on a high dollar, significant car. In many cases the appraisal is much more than $300 because you also want to mechanically inspect the car, etc. It depends on the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts