Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a radio for my 69. Found this. Can't see the model # completely in this pic, but it looks like all the 69's I've seen. The model # here clearly starts with an 8 so I'm guessing this came out of a 68 mustang or cougar. Are 68's interchangable with 69's, and can you shed any light on will this unit fit in my 69?
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Electrical wiring

Registered
1968 Mustang 289 Coupe
Looking for a radio for my 69. Found this. Can't see the model # completely in this pic, but it looks like all the 69's I've seen. The model # here clearly starts with an 8 so I'm guessing this came out of a 68 mustang or cougar. Are 68's interchangable with 69's, and can you shed any light on will this unit fit in my 69?
View attachment 809981
Looks exactly like my '68 radio. First letters are.....8TPZ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is a 68, will it fit my 69?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is probably the '68 8TPZ, which is nearly identical to the '69 C9ZA. I think I've looked at pictures of the 68 and 69 chassis' long enough today to convince myself that it's the same chassis. Anybody know what the round thing mounted on the top-right above the tuner dial is? I usually see duct tape over that corner on the 69 C9ZA. I found a website that decodes the model number. I don't know if this link will work, or if this forum allows it but here goes:

Registered
It is probably the '68 8TPZ, which is nearly identical to the '69 C9ZA. I think I've looked at pictures of the 68 and 69 chassis' long enough today to convince myself that it's the same chassis. Anybody know what the round thing mounted on the top-right above the tuner dial is? I usually see duct tape over that corner on the 69 C9ZA. I found a website that decodes the model number. I don't know if this link will work, or if this forum allows it but here goes:
That's more than likely a power transistor.

Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
Agree...it's a power transistor. I believe, but not sure, they mount it on the outside so it will be able to better dissipate heat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it kindof fits. actually my aplique face bezel is warped and maybe shrunk? And perhaps the whole metal behind it and the ac controls are bent or something. things didnt line up very well. there was no radio when I got it.
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts