Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at something on a honda at my works parking lot as the owner came buy. He asked what i was looking at. I replied that the lug nuts were unusual. He said very proudly that they were locking lugnuts. The damn things were just 6 point lug nuts that you take off with a big allen wrench like on a lot of brake calipers. Hmm maybe those are lock bolts on brake calipers to prevent people from stealing them too! I tried to correct him but he insisted there locking lug nuts. Clearly this guy has never been to the tool department at Sears.

G

·
0 Posts
Well, they're "locking" nuts if you don't have an Allen wrench or know how to use one!

G

·
0 Posts
locking nuts look likie those weird bikelock keys and come with a special socket to remove them at ford we got 2 master set with about 24 different ones it real sucks if you loose the socket they distroy the lockers and you need new ones

·
Administrator
19,300 Posts
The reason for Allen lugs is that many custom wheels have tight clearences around the lugs. Many require a thinwall socket to remove the lugs. A normal lug wrench won't even get on the lugnut. If they were "locking"lugs, one of them should have been obviously different on each wheel. Perhaps you could impress him with "super security" lugs, also known as a Torx T60. : )

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If they hold the wheels on safely, thats a key thing.... Around here people seem to be "missing" lug nuts on their wheels. I saw a farmer here the other day that only puts 3 out of 8 lug nuts on his 3/4 ton pickup wheels. "I get tired of turning lug nuts all day long when I get a flat tire", he replied.... OhhhhK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts