Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I am trying to find out If all S code 390's are GT motors ? If Not how do you know if it is a gt motor ? I am refering to a 69 S code . Thank you

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
In 1969, the 390 was actually a 390IP (Improved Performance). Not a 'GT' motor. They made some changes to the cam and changed the carb. The specs for that motor actually prove it was a reduction in performance in that it went from 325hp in 68 to 320 hp in 1969. They did this to boast the new 428 engine option available in 1969.

It was a GT motor in 67 and 68.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Docs I have on Ford Engines note S "390GT" was 66-68 only. 66 in Comet and Fairlane, added to Cougar and Mustang in 67, dropped from the Comet in 68 and added to the Montego. As noted the 390IP was the S code for 69, so not all S codes are 390GT's.

I've also seen 67's referred to as "390 Thunderbird Specials", not 390GTs'..???

(info courtesy of A. Cross docs and research)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by a "GT" motor. The s-code indicades a 390 cdi, 4 barrel factory engine. They can be found in non "GT" cars, like mine. (Go figure, I have an S-code GT/CS that came without the GT option!)

I don't recall any of the FE engines being called a "GT"

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A 390GT motor has nothing to do with the GT equipment option on the Mustang. You could have a non-GT S Code Mustang but your motor will still be the 390GT in 67 and 68.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
As noted the "390GT" confuses a lot of people into saying they have a "GT". Looked over a couple Ford brochures for 67 and 68, neither mentions the "390GT" only the "Thunderbird Special" for the S code. In 68 the X code 2 bbl is noted as the "Thunderbird V-8".

In addition to the 4bbl carb a 390GT differed from a "standard" 390 with a different cam, higher compression (10.5:1 vs. 9.5:1) and "special" ignition components (not specified in my references). On the visual side, 67 got a unique no snorkel dual screen air cleaner w/chrome lid, 68 got the chrome dress kit (valve covers, oil filler cap air cleaner lid), not sure about 69....

Would be interested if anyone has any good references/links on this issue as I am trying to gather info on these engines and details on the year-to-year differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts