Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I upgraded the shocks in my 65 over the weekend with Bilsteins and wanted to share. The car came with some Grab a Track shocks the PO installed 12+ years ago. They ride ok but I’ve been doing a lot of upgrades and figured new shocks were a no brainer. I wrestled with which shocks to buy not wanting to spend 100 shock for the Bilsteins but in the end said the hell with it and put them on all 4 corners. The difference is night and day! Roads that jarred my teeth out before are much smoother and she handles much better. Just check out the difference visually below! Seriously beefy shocks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Older shocks plus modifications probably won't feel the same as new shocks plus modifications. If any upgrade/replacement does what you feel it should, then it's worth the price.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
After insuring that all the bushings, ball joints, tie rods, steering box, etc. are in good shape, IMHO the number one best upgrade to your car's suspension is a good set of shocks, either Bilsteins or Konis. Your car will not wallow and will be more responsive.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Older shocks plus modifications probably won't feel the same as new shocks plus modifications. If any upgrade/replacement does what you feel it should, then it's worth the price.
Agreed. I'm sure doing some mods and then buying some new cheap KYB's/Gabriel's/Monroe's or so on would feel great for a little bit. The issue with those, imo, is the question of longevity and how long they'll have a smooth or comfortable ride. I generally have the mentality of you get what you pay for. And when you buy a shock that's a little over $100 a piece, you're going to get better quality than something that's $25-30 a piece.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I have KYB gas a just on my car and a set of Bilsteins waiting to be installed .

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I have KYB gas a just on my car and a set of Bilsteins waiting to be installed .
We currently have the KYB's on the car--I replaced the old ratty looking Monroe's that looked like they were on there for 25 yr or more. The difference was very noticeable. I'd be very interested in your opinion when you put the Bilsteins on.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! My eyes read worth, had to scroll to re-read the title.
Oops! yeah I meant to say worth the the price.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had KYB gas adjust on the rear of my 65 and the Grab a Track on the front. Car came like that don't judge. when I swapped the KYBs out for Bilsteins last fall I noticed a change in ride quality for sure. Oddly enough the change in the rear was more noticeable than the change in the front but that may have more to do with leafs vs coil springs. Over all the car handles and rides much better than it did.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Oddly enough the change in the rear was more noticeable than the change in the front but that may have more to do with leafs vs coil springs. Over all the car handles and rides much better than it did.
That’s because there’s no weight in the back of the car, like there is up front with the engine in it, and if you have a cheap or really stiff shock you’ll bounce the back end off the ground. I was in the same boat.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It sounds like one of the main differences between the KYBs and the Bilsteins is ride quality. It appears the KYBs are very stiff without much compliance whereas the Bilsteins have both rebound and compliance. I have KYBs on the front and am okay for now but I have a generic summit drag racing shock on the rear and am very interested in trying the Bilsteins. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
It sounds like one of the main differences between the KYBs and the Bilsteins is ride quality. It appears the KYBs are very stiff without much compliance whereas the Bilsteins have both rebound and compliance. I have KYBs on the front and am okay for now but I have a generic summit drag racing shock on the rear and am very interested in trying the Bilsteins. Thanks for the review.
You won't be sorry! In normal driving the Bilsteins are unobtrusive. You wouldn't really notice too much special. As soon as you start driving more aggressively they firm up without really noticing. My car just stays firmly planted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Absitively, posolutely the best upgrade I've made to my '66. When I first bought the car from the PO in 2010, the shocks on it looked ancient so I replaced them with KYB's. Very little, if any, improvement. In fact, you may as well leave what you have on the car for all the KYB's are worth on a Mustang. I agree with all the other positive comments and the descriptions on how they change the feel, drivability, handling - and enjoyment factor! It just doesn't feel like 54 year old technology anymore.

Do it.
Now!

Bill

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,353 Posts
I always found the KYB shocks to be very highly gas charged making them crash and jump over road irregularities. The Bilstein's use a digressive valved piston which in the simplest of terms is like a progressive type of dampening. They quickly, smoothly and in a controlled manner deal with the road bumps and get the tire back on the road. Anyone that has used them on late model cars and trucks love them so we offer them for the classic Mustang.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always found the KYB shocks to be very highly gas charged making them crash and jump over road irregularities. The Bilstein's use a digressive valved piston which in the simplest of terms is like a progressive type of dampening. They quickly, smoothly and in a controlled manner deal with the road bumps and get the tire back on the road. Anyone that has used them on late model cars and trucks love them so we offer them for the classic Mustang.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I also have a set of your adjustable strut rods waiting for some free time to be installed. I think the two mods will complement each other nicely.

Reactions: Shaun

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
I've got the sports on my car, night and day difference from the kyb gas ajust shocks I took off it. Well worth the extra coin as they ride smooth but are also better handling than the other cheap shocks and also not harsh or jarring. I'd definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
I've got the sports on my car, night and day difference from the kyb gas ajust shocks I took off it. Well worth the extra coin as they ride smooth but are also better handling than the other cheap shocks and also not harsh or jarring. I'd definitely recommend them.
I have the Sports as well. When I ordered them from Shaun I was pretty much set on the Street version. In a last second knee jerk I blurted out Sport to Shaun. Not by accident either. I'm glad I did. I'm very happy with the Sports and your dead on with your comments. Good shocks are a no brainier.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts