Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Are Early Car Prices Still Crazy??

928 21
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Those asking prices are pretty typical of what I see around the Atlanta area lately.

FB Marketplace is a joke as are the various Mustang pages on FB. High mileage, worn out junk for crazy money, and as usual, they know what they have,

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I don’t know how people don’t proof read before posting an ad like that. To me, few things say “I have no idea what I’m talking about” more then when sellers describe the Mustang as a Cobra.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Those asking prices are fairly normal. I've seen worse being sold for more and I've also seen some nice ones for twice those prices.

Those prices don't seem that crazy compared to many other vintage vehicles from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe | 302 | E-Style
336 Posts
Maybe I am out of the loop but those seem like pretty fair prices. When I was looking for a coupe in CA everything was 15K+, even 6 cylinders. I mean I spent 9K for my car and it didn't even run, who knows how much I actually have in it at this point (I mean I know but I don't want to know because I could probably own 2 of those listings haha)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Those prices seem pretty typical for around here. Mustangs are cheap compared to the Chevy crowd though. I routinely see 100k plus for old Camaros and Chevelles. Throw a junkyard ls motor in it with a bolt on suspension kit, some pro car seats and Bam it’s a “pro touring” 6 digit car. It’s crazy.

·
Premium Member
9,771 Posts
I follow BaT and the "run-of-mill" mustangs are fetching 30-40K, the GTs, Ks, Bosses KRs etc., are easily 60+

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
On one hand it seems strange to me that so few younger people are not interested in the car hobby. When I was young, almost every guy I knew loved cars. On the other hand, prices for classic cars just keep skyrocketing. It can't be just older people buying these cars. Perhaps I'm just not connected with the younger people who like classic cars.

I owned two Mustangs when I was in high school; a 1970 fastback and a 1971 fastback. My dad constantly gave a hard time about driving "Old cars". When I joined the Navy I sold both of my Mustangs. My dad was absolutely flabbergasted when I sold both of those "old cars" for a tidy profit because fastback prices were going up. That trend is still going strong and now we're all becoming somewhat flabbergasted. :D

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Those prices seem pretty typical for around here. Mustangs are cheap compared to the Chevy crowd though. I routinely see 100k plus for old Camaros and Chevelles. Throw a junkyard ls motor in it with a bolt on suspension kit, some pro car seats and Bam it’s a “pro touring” 6 digit car. It’s crazy.
I'm seeing people are starting to fix up the GEN 3 Camaros which were new when I was in high school. It makes sense considering the GEN 1 Camaros have become completely out of reach for all but a tiny few enthusiasts and the GEN 2 Camaros are getting harder to find and prices have gone up. None of the GEN 3 Camaros had any power so an engine swap is pretty much a given.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Those asking prices are pretty typical of what I see around the Atlanta area lately.

FB Marketplace is a joke as are the various Mustang pages on FB. High mileage, worn out junk for crazy money, and as usual, they know what they have,
“I know what I have” is one of my favorite lines in a CL or FB add, and is code word for “I am completely delusional about the price of my item”.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
On one hand it seems strange to me that so few younger people are not interested in the car hobby. When I was young, almost every guy I knew loved cars. On the other hand, prices for classic cars just keep skyrocketing. It can't be just older people buying these cars. Perhaps I'm just not connected with the younger people who like classic cars.

I owned two Mustangs when I was in high school; a 1970 fastback and a 1971 fastback. My dad constantly gave a hard time about driving "Old cars". When I joined the Navy I sold both of my Mustangs. My dad was absolutely flabbergasted when I sold both of those "old cars" for a tidy profit because fastback prices were going up. That trend is still going strong and now we're all becoming somewhat flabbergasted. :D
When I bought my car in 1983 the car was only 17 years old. Not many 17 year old cars are classics today for kids to be excited about.

In some ways this topic could be made into a Progressive commercial about becoming one's parents. Remember when these were $2,400 new? Not really, but back then you could buy a new house for $15k.

Prices posted by OP are not surprising.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
When I was young, almost every guy I knew loved cars.
There's are lot of other stuff you can have as an cool interest or hobby these days, like lot of younger people are now heavily into online gaming. You can also easily communicate with your friends without being in the same spot. Cars have simply become less important in their life.
It seems young people into old cars these days are often raised with the hobby in some way. Dad are into it, or their best friends dad or similar story. Dragracer/MT host Alex Taylor have told she was the weirdo in highschool, driving her old Camaro. No classmates understood her interest in old cars.

Regarding high prices on old cars, people have generally more money to use on fun and toys than ever before. Or you could probably say there's a lot more people nowadays that can afford to buy expensive toys. I also believe the sales of expensive guitars are at an all-time high.

·
Dimples
7,810 Posts
I’ve made it my business to stay aware of what the kids are into, and not surprisingly, they’re into the “classics” that were new when they first became aware of cars. By now that would be early-mid 00’s Japanese cars like WRX, 350Z, etc. a lot of this is born out of the mystique of the 90’s JDM heroes like Supras and RX7’s. Without context, they think a Mitsubishi Eclipse is a cool car. Where as we lived through it, and know an Eclipse to be a disposable car driven by cosmetology students.

The kids that lean domestic are getting 99+ new edge Mustangs and the lucky ones are getting 05-09 S197’s. They’re old enough to be affordable like the classics were for us.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang
36 Posts
I’ve made it my business to stay aware of what the kids are into, and not surprisingly, they’re into the “classics” that were new when they first became aware of cars. By now that would be early-mid 00’s Japanese cars like WRX, 350Z, etc. a lot of this is born out of the mystique of the 90’s JDM heroes like Supras and RX7’s. Without context, they think a Mitsubishi Eclipse is a cool car. Where as we lived through it, and know an Eclipse to be a disposable car driven by cosmetology students.

The kids that lean domestic are getting 99+ new edge Mustangs and the lucky ones are getting 05-09 S197’s. They’re old enough to be affordable like the classics were for us.
I think your correct. I have a younger friend who LOVES Acura Integras and technically a 1997 Integra is a classic.....I used to work on them and do new car pre-delivery inspections on them new so I have a hard time seeing them that way. Its just the "time frame" of whats a classic has shifted, and what WAS a classic is now a Antique and more and more get crashed, crushed and rusted away they become fewer and fewer. I see the Mitsubishi Eclipse as a strippers car...and she probably was in cosmetology school....:D

·
Dimples
7,810 Posts
I think your correct. I have a younger friend who LOVES Acura Integras and technically a 1997 Integra is a classic.....I used to work on them and do new car pre-delivery inspections on them new so I have a hard time seeing them that way. Its just the "time frame" of whats a classic has shifted, and what WAS a classic is now a Antique and more and more get crashed, crushed and rusted away they become fewer and fewer. I see the Mitsubishi Eclipse as a strippers car...and she probably was in cosmetology school....:D
Hah! Exactly. And what was an Integra back in the day? Acura version of an Eclipse. We can throw the Celica in for good measure and the trifecta of breast tavern entertainer cars is complete.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts