Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assumed spindles were forgings, which means it might be possible to heat up and bend the steering arms a little, if necessary, but someone has told me they are castings.
Can anyone say for sure?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Factory are forged
Yes Forged. Much stronger than simple cast spindles. They CANNOT be heated and bent!!

If someone tells you their simple cast spindles are poured with "Special-Magical" metal that is as strong as Forged--You believe that, PLEASE call me. I have a condon in the Artic with 85 degree weather year round, and all in the Sun. I'll even build a ocean in front if you like,
$500.00 Bucks!!!--But negotiable???? We never Lie-------

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm auto crossing with the CSRP 1.4" drop cast spindles and am still alive. Any new spindles that you buy will have been cast in China. I am certainly not a fan of commie stuff but I'm not dead yet.

As to the OP's original question, I don't think you heat and bend on any cast iron, but in theory cast metal is easier to cut and weld than forged metal.

If you want something you can slice and dice on without worrying about the whole cast or forged thing this is the ticket! https://www.maierracing.com/product/1-drop-spindles-1965-70-ford-mustangs/ Failures have been reported on the brake mounting point. Probably my next move though as I know a really good welder.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yeah...... like so-

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Exactly like that. I hear they have made improvements. I wouldn't use Wilwood brakes so I'd be fabbing my own brackets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't try to bend a casting because of it's crystalline structure, but thought a forging would be ok, what with the grain flow etc.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Ford factory spindles can be "adjusted" (bent)...... that said, no one on the forum
should be attempting to bend steering arms on spindles. Don't do it.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ignorant ranting aside, CSRP spindles are cast from steel that contains grain modifying alloys (chromium, molybdenum, nicklel, manganese) that increase the tensile strength of the steel beyond that of the OEM forged steel spindles used on Mustang.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm not a metallurgist but the machining on the spindles I received from CSRP was spot on. The overall appearance was top notch and they work great. I just with the steering arms were shorter than factory to quicken steering response and allow wider rims. Thats my racing problem not Dennis's design.

I know the right guy with the right skills could cut and splice the steering arms, but how do you know you have the right guy?

·
Registered
34,148 Posts
I'm not a metallurgist but the machining on the spindles I received from CSRP was spot on. The overall appearance was top notch and they work great. I just with the steering arms were shorter than factory to quicken steering response and allow wider rims. Thats my racing problem not Dennis's design.

I know the right guy with the right skills could cut and splice the steering arms, but how do you know you have the right guy?
Well, perhaps a possible solution is to remove the steering arm, in its entirety, machining it away from the spindle, then having a new arm cut from a piece of billet steel and connected to the spindle using the two lower bolt holes? As long as you maintain the correct planes for the tie-rod attachment hole with regard to height (bump steer) and angle (Ackerman) you should be able to pick your length....

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Well, perhaps a possible solution is to remove the steering arm, in its entirety, machining it away from the spindle, then having a new arm cut from a piece of billet steel and connected to the spindle using the two lower bolt holes? As long as you maintain the correct planes for the tie-rod attachment hole with regard to height (bump steer) and angle (Ackerman) you should be able to pick your length....
I would say it is 100% possible on the CSRP drop spindles but not on the factory ones. There is over an inch between the back of the spindle body and the lower ball joint nut. I'd have to learn a lot about suspension stuff before I would attempt it though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Never done it but I have heard several times a recommended practice to heat and bend the steering arms on the granada spindles to help with bump steer

·
Registered
34,148 Posts
I would say it is 100% possible on the CSRP drop spindles but not on the factory ones. There is over an inch between the back of the spindle body and the lower ball joint nut. I'd have to learn a lot about suspension stuff before I would attempt it though.
That's assuming that the new weldment you produce to bolt on to the 2 lower bolts don't also include the lower ball joint hole...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts