Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a carb bolt that got over tightened so I'm thinking "no prob, just use a heli-coil." I've never used one before but it seemed easy enough.

Local Pep Boys wanted $34.95 for the kit? Ouch?

Did I look at the wrong thing? I figgered it would be less than $5.
Oh, and what size do I need for a carb bolt?

J. Boggs

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That's about right....

The big money item in the kit is the special size Heli-Coil tap that must be used, and there is the Heli-coil inserter.

You will need the 5/16-18 Heli-Coil kit.... This will also repair about 75% of all the threaded holes in your Mustang.

After you buy the kit, a pack of Heli-Coils are about $.15 ea.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
An ordinary tap will not work. Basically you are creating a larger threaded hole into which you will insert the heli coil which will take up some space creating the proper size hole. 5/16" x 18 is a course thread and 5/16" x 24 is a fine thread. Carb bolts/studs are typically course thread.

These things are $33.65 from Grainger (retail). You might be able to find them cheaper, but not by a bunch.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for grins I ran a search on one of the more popular auction sites that starts with an e and ends in a bay and voila-there was a 5/16 -18 kit with extra coils for $10.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, they are that expensive-but they are worth it. I stripped all 4 carb studs, and bought the 5-16 18. It works perfectly. BTW, you need a 21/64 drill bit to make the right size hole.
But they work
-Brian

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
As the tap, coils and installer are still patented (it may have run but not sure), this is likely the reason for the high price...no direct competition. Another reason is the tap itself...real machine shop grade taps (and this is one) are pretty expensive (I have a number of Heli-Coil kits in the shop, as well as a large selection of taps). A good US-made 5/16" or 3/8" HSS C3 machine tap can run between 8-12.00 ea... I've paid as much as 75.00 ea for larger taps like 1" 14 or 1 1/8" 12...

Plain carbon steel taps are cheaper but just don't last in the shop environment and this is what Heli-Coils are geared to (and priced for)...

Just be careful of what you're getting for 10.00...

If you have any specific questions, post....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts