Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of N.O.S. hub caps (wheel covers) for my '66, but when I went to put them on, it seems like they're too small. Some of the wheel/rim still shows all around the edge. But the old ones (the ones I replaced with the N.O.S.) were just like that, too. My dad says that's how they're supposed to be, and that the original cars had the rims painted the same color as the car itself, to make it look better. Is he just senile, or is a bit of the rim actually supposed to show? By the way, the hub caps I have are 14" (not 15").
Thanks in advance,
-Robin :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Your dad is right, there's about a half-inch gap between the outer-most wheel edge and the outer rim of the wheel cover. However, on Mustangs the stamped wheel was painted black, not body color. Some cheapo paint shops paint the wheels body color to save themselves the trouble of painting them the correct black color.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But, does anyone agree that it just doesn't look right if they doesn't cover the WHOLE wheel?

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
If the rim is black, and you have a black tire, then from a couple of feet you see a black wheel with a hubcap in the center. If this really bothers you buy 1965 styled steel wheels - no hubcap or trim rim involved. But kind of pricey.

John Harvey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about getting styles wheels, but I was unable to find anything that looked as close to the original as I'd like. At least now I know that I have the correct sized covers, even though they're not as pretty as I thought they would be. Thanks a ton, everyone! :)

Any thoughts on whether I should paint the wheels white, or black, or not at all?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, anyone have any idea why my link/picture coding is not working? :) I can't figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts