Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know squat about motor mounts but i noticed when installing my headers that i could jack up the engine without unbolting anything,does the motor just sit on those rubber mounts or bolted? should i be able to jack it up without unbolting something??scaaarrrryyyyy.....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The rubber should be bonded to both sides of the mount. If it separates when you jacked-up the engine, then it's time to replace them.......NOW.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Actually it was probably time to replace them a long time ago, LOL.

Good luck.

John Harvey

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just a point you might consider. Since your motor mounts need replacing, then you should also look real close at your rear transmission mount, along with the METAL trany cross member. They may ALL need replacing. MINE did!

Doc the moneymanager

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
chances are if it had that much play in it you should replace the tranny mounts too... i shattered both my motor mounts , and later on found out i had shattered my tranny mounts too . replace em all at once and you wont have to go back later like I ended up having to do .

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This is somewhat of an answer and poses more questions. I've been searching the VMF archives for info on motor mounts. It seems like all the Repos are inferior to the originals (according to a lot of VMF guys) and I've read several posts, some VMF'ers report that they have drilled the MM and Installed 1/2" bolts.
I notice the exploded drawings in the 66 shop manual show the HI PO mount has a bolt thru it with (what appears to be a rubber)donut on the top and then a nut. Is the donut rubber?, does it act as a vibration damper for the bolt? The bolt in the HIPO MM is there because it is 3 separate pieces.
I have the 66 type MM with the single bolt thru horizontally connecting to the support, As seen in fig. 15 on page 8-57 of the 66 ford shop manual.
In order to keep from replacing MM's constantly,(due to poor quality repos) drilling a hole and installing a bolt sounds like a good Idea for the 66 MM. Does anyone have anything to report on this type of modification to the 66 stock V8 MM?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts