Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 just has the regular rear light units with one bulb in each. My wiring is very slightly modified to not have them flash as indicators and they just work as night lights and brake lights.

I have often wondered about how good the rear brake lights are during the day, especially on a very bright sunny day ( yes we get sun in the UK ). And I have pondered over doing an LED conversion.

Today I was out just cruising around as you do on a nice day. And a modern car with a 20 something ( guessing ) driving it pulled alongside me at a queue and shouted at me saying my brake lights do not work. So I pulled over and checked them, and they are working fine. This is the first time this has happened where someone actually said something to me, but it got me thinking, how many other people are thinking they are either not working or are not very good on a very bright day. And the last thing I want is someone rear-ending me over this.

I have always thought it was a bit of a big ask to have one bulb effectively lighting up 3 vertical bars. My local club has one or two Mustangs that have had the LED conversion done and they are so much brighter and all 3 vertical bars glow evenly as each bar has its own set of LED's and they are much closer to the lenses. They were not 69's and from the 64 to 66 era, but I was impressed with the results.

Any thoughts as LED lights often come up in the discussions here. I am not a purist and my car has many other modifications under the skin, so this sort of thing does not bother me. I am leaning towards doing a conversion.

Jeremy.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have installed sequential LED tail light kits into three of my 65-66 cars for this very reason. Also, the plastic lenses are over fifty years old and probably need to be cleaned or replaced further reducing the incandescent bulbs visibility. I have also converted the headlights to H4 LED units as well. There are interior and instrument cluster LED bulb kits out there if you would like to convert your entire vehicle. Lots of great vendors out there, but I would definitely recommend taking a look at www.mustangproject.

Mustang Project LED Lighting

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I did the 'Vintage LED' conversion to my 67 vert a few weeks back. the improvement is pretty darn impressive. I like that you can turn the sequential function on or off, if you ever get tired of that..

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I still have my original bulbs, but got new red lenses and painted the inside of my buckets gloss white. It helps, but still not a bright as they would be with LED bulbs.

The only reason I have not switched yet is because I would have to probably fuss with the flasher too. (poor excuse)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I did the 'Vintage LED' conversion to my 67 vert a few weeks back. the improvement is pretty darn impressive. I like that you can turn the sequential function on or off, if you ever get tired of that..
Did all Vintage LED's about a year ago. All my wiring and lights were brand new when I rebuilt the 66 Convertible and the lights were still pretty dim. Given that this car was going to be driven by my mother and step-father in Florida with lots of old people I opted for the LED upgrade. The difference is literally night and day. The backup lights are like search lights. Makes it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to see the lights. Now they are brighter than even new cars. And Gary at Vintage LED's is a really nice guy. He even delivered my kit since he was local. I highly recommend buying from them if you go the LED route. The kit was complete and professional IMO.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I got LED inserts over a decade ago for that very reason. I have upgraded the lamps in the front turn signals to LED as well as the interior footwell lights. The dash lights are sitting on my bench for install.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
626 Posts
That is why I went with these... Mustang Project LED lights. Did not have to cut panel to install.. I can always go back to stock. Good investment. Great look.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, loads of replies and I only posted the question a moment ago. Thanks.

My car has brand new lenses as the old ones were not in great shape, so I know that is not the issue. I think I am definitely going to do an LED conversion. People are impatient and drive in a constant hurry and are far too close for my liking, so anything to improve matters sounds good to me.

Not sure if this is a thing outside of the UK, but really old cars here had what was called semaphore indicators. And a little arm would pop out on the side of the car body near the roofline and that would flash. So the car had no rear indicators at all. I see these cars driving around and to be honest ( even as a classic car fan ) they seem dangerous now as no one else will know about these if following the car.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
why would you not want them to blink

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
i did LED tail lights for that very reason, it's always sunny here in florida, and the 65-66 tail lights are small. i wanted all the visibility i could have in the rear, people drive like crap here.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why would you not want them to blink
I am not in the US. They would not pass our yearly inspection like this. So I altered the wiring to make them night lights and brake lights only. There is no requirement on our inspection for a car of my age to have reversing lights, so these were modified with orange bulbs to be my rear indicators. Also, flashing brake lights as indicators would totally confuse other drivers as they would not know about this.

And I have realised I keep saying indicators when you guys call them blinkers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was in a similar position and bit the bullet with a 3rd stoplight at the top of the rear screen. I think most people are conditioned to look for the third stoplight as their primary trigger (if that makes sense!).

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I like my classic car to look like a classic car, not a space ship.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
On my '67, I added a kit to give me 3 bulbs per side, I got it at CJ Pony Parts. And also replaced the incandescent lamps with LED's. They are bright

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like my classic car to look like a classic car, not a space ship.
I'll risk looking like a space ship if it keeps my bumper and deck lid straight thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 - 20 of 120 Posts