Vintage Mustang Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
LED's look great when they are all working, but the little individual LED's do tend to burn out over time which makes the lights look like s**t. Seeing LED traffic lights partially burned out makes them look like crap, and that's what your tail lights will eventually look like too. My personal choice, I hate LED's.

·
Registered
997 Posts
That takes a bit more work but I feel safer after adding one. My trunk lid is fibreglass so was fairly simple to cut it in. I also did the LED sequential conversion and moved the B/U lamp up but that involves sheet metal work and someone who can weld the pot metal housings.
RWBaeth, I like these tail lights. Could we see more pics of them and the buckets?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased and installed the Philips 1157RLED bulbs from Rock Auto for $6.60 each in my 66 Fastback. They go in the original socket and work great. I also painted the inside of the tail light housing white which helps as well.

You just need to buy a digital flasher made for LED bulbs. Might have been $10-15. I also used the Amber colored ones for the front parking lights.

Much brighter than the originals and still keep that stock look vs the much more expensive LED conversion kits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RWBaeth, I like these tail lights. Could we see more pics of them and the buckets?

I cut one section off two std tail lamp housings, welded the 2 sections back together ( if you look close you'll see the welds) and had them rechromed. We cut the buckets in half and added metal to widen them. Also had to cut up my new rear panel for these and the hidden gas cap door. I cut some new lens and one pc off a clear lense and siliconed them in place. We moved the B/U lamps and filled in the holes in the lower valance. I also found headlamps with built in turn signals and eliminated the ones on the front valance. The rear panel appears to be much wider now.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts

I cut one section off two std tail lamp housings, welded the 2 sections back together ( if you look close you'll see the welds) and had them rechromed. We cut the buckets in half and added metal to widen them. Also had to cut up my new rear panel for these and the hidden gas cap door. I cut some new lens and one pc off a clear lense and siliconed them in place. We moved the B/U lamps and filled in the holes in the lower valance. I also found headlamps with built in turn signals and eliminated the ones on the front valance. The rear panel appears to be much wider now.
Forgot, I found a B/U lamp at a hot rod shop and we cut it into the spoiler,

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just put the red 1157 led bulbs in. No hyperflash but both lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on. Will the electronic flasher solve that issue?

Allen
Do you think my issue can be resolved with an electronic flasher?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had the LEDs from Mustang Project for several years now. Exponentially brighter than that lone 1157. I also added a third brake light and installed it on the package tray. I used one from a Honda Civic and put LEDs in that, also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just stumbled across this. Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing? Just weighing up my options.
The problem with this conversion is that the Mustang only used 18 ga wire for the rear turn signal feed on the orange/blue and green/orange wires to the trunk. The inherent voltage drop to the tail lights reduces the light intensity. This is a big problem with the 1967/1968 Shelby (and clone) Mustangs. In 1969, Ford adapted the Cougar tail light harness for the Shelby Mustangs which uses 14 ga wire.

Also, the additional load from the extra bulbs will reduce the life of the turn signal switch. This is a common problem with the Cougars and Thunderbirds. The original turn signal switch contacts were under-designed. The internal resistance and corresponding voltage drop causes the contact to overheat, melt the surrounding nylon plastic, and sink the contact into the plastic - breaking the connection. The best solution is to convert to LED bulbs.

If the application is for sequential signals, make sure to use a bulb that is certified for sequential turn signals - not all on the market will work correctly. Some LED bulbs use a resistor to reduce the running light intensity. This will allow feedback to the other bulbs during turn signal operation when the running light are on. This feedback will turn on some of the other bulbs out of sequence or on the other side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
The problem with this conversion is that the Mustang only used 18 ga wire for the rear turn signal feed on the orange/blue and green/orange wires to the trunk. The inherent voltage drop to the tail lights reduces the light intensity.

Also, the additional load from the extra bulbs will reduce the life of the turn signal switch.
I am leaning towards this method of doing my rear lights combined with a vertical reflector at each bulb. I can use either the regular 1157 bulbs or LED replacement bulbs. I am going off the PCB LED matrix solutions.

I modified my wiring to not have flashing brake lights for indicators ( blinkers ) about 25 years ago and I ran my own wire to the back of the car and slightly different wiring at the brake pedal. And the wiring is more than up to the job.

The other day I removed a light unit and did a quick and dirty mockup with a single bulb and makeshift reflector behind one of the vertical lenses. I am more than happy with the results and even in strong direct sunlight, it was more than visible.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am leaning towards this method of doing my rear lights combined with a vertical reflector at each bulb. I can use either the regular 1157 bulbs or LED replacement bulbs. I am going off the PCB LED matrix solutions.

I modified my wiring to not have flashing brake lights for indicators ( blinkers ) about 25 years ago and I ran my own wire to the back of the car and slightly different wiring at the brake pedal. And the wiring is more than up to the job.

The other day I removed a light unit and did a quick and dirty mockup with a single bulb and makeshift reflector behind one of the vertical lenses. I am more than happy with the results and even in strong direct sunlight, it was more than visible.
I agree with JRFOX second paragraph regarding the turn signal switch. I suspect with 6 incandescent bulbs you will let the smoke out of the turn signal switch in short order. I would plan on some of the LED 1157 replacement bulbs rather than buying 1157s then later buying a turn signal switch and the LEDs. This is just a suggestion, I've changed a few burned up turn signal switches in various cars over the years.

The bracket with the lamp sockets inside the housing is clever. A lot nicer than knocking more holes and installing additional sockets in the housing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the last 8 years I have been using led tail light. The first 2 sets lasted less than 2 months before leds started going out. The last 3 years I have been using the vintage leds and all still going strong and also the front running light/turn signal are great.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
1157 bulbs have a fixed orientation in the housing.
You're right. But not all of these things are 1157 bulbs to plug and play and some LEDs and panels do have a polarity of some type.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heres a pic of my homemade LED with the brake pressed during daylight. Also did the same with my front turnsignal clear lens. Although its split. Top and bottom have Yellow LED strips that work with as turn signals and in the middle theres 2 strips White LED that come on with my quarter lights and I use them for night parking lot parking. Can get a pic of it if interested

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Heres a pic of my homemade LED with the brake pressed during daylight. Also did the same with my front turnsignal clear lens. Although its split. Top and bottom have Yellow LED strips that work with as turn signals and in the middle theres 2 strips White LED that come on with my quarter lights and I use them for night parking lot parking. Can get a pic of it if interested View attachment 764499
The rear lights look nice and bright. I am interested in seeing some pictures of the turn signal lights and the parking lights.

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Heres a pic of my homemade LED with the brake pressed during daylight. Also did the same with my front turnsignal clear lens. Although its split. Top and bottom have Yellow LED strips that work with as turn signals and in the middle theres 2 strips White LED that come on with my quarter lights and I use them for night parking lot parking. Can get a pic of it if interested
I would be real interested in photos and details of your homemade LED lamps. Lots of good ideas in this thread, like white paint, adhesive foil and homemade. I'm leaning toward homemade LED for my '66.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heres my front turn signal / parking lights.
I basically just separated the original bulb function. The original
Bulb Has two settings, a quarter light and a turn signal. I separated them and ran 2 led white strips for parking Lights that come on when the quarter lights are ON. The turn signal is 4 separate strips so that when the turn signal is ON they drown out the parking lights. Very noticeable at night.
This was my first conversion and a Very crude design in bringing all power and grounds but it works great and is covered up by the lens. I have Done 3 car conversions 2 on my friends older plymouth arrow/ mitsu galant and a 67 camino. These were made better / neater wiring splices and runs to tie it all together.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
@Dsmless I wanna see pics of the REST of the car. It looks SWEET.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts