Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
69 add runs in Panama City also....scam?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My take, and I've bought 2 in the last few months, is that quality, top notch cars, or rare models/engines are still retaining value/commanding high prices, while cars in need of resto or just average drivers are dropping in price. I could not have bought these cars 2 yrs ago for anywhere near their price today. In this economy, people are hurting....particularly people who have these cars as a working project, and can no longer afford or commit the money with the level of uncertainty. I'm even seeing true restored K codes go for high $20's to mid 30's. Fifty percent higher 2 yrs. ago, imho.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ditto--I am buying a '65 Convertible later this week that is a distress sale and priced accordingly.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That 69 is being advertised in a number of Bay Area cities... clearly a scam.

As for the 65... v6? Maybe they just don't know what they have?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
My first thought was "I should buy that, even though I don't need it at all or have any place to put it," and my second thought was "this is obviously a scam!"

·
Registered
500 Posts
I saw the '69 ad last night, posted in Raleigh NC as well, and thought of all the time and money I've put into my current project, and how upside down I must be. Then I saw this post - sad that it was a scam, but very happy prices haven't tanked that much!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
It has been flagged for removal.

·
Registered
738 Posts
mainemustang said:
My take, and I've bought 2 in the last few months, is that quality, top notch cars, or rare models/engines are still retaining value/commanding high prices, while cars in need of resto or just average drivers are dropping in price. I could not have bought these cars 2 yrs ago for anywhere near their price today. In this economy, people are hurting....particularly people who have these cars as a working project, and can no longer afford or commit the money with the level of uncertainty. I'm even seeing true restored K codes go for high $20's to mid 30's. Fifty percent higher 2 yrs. ago, imho.
I think the top cars have been hurt more than the lower end cars. Hemi's, Shelby's, Copo's are struggling while cars in the 15-25k range I don't think have dropped that much.

A documented Copo Camaro with history recently only bid to $105 on ebay. 3 years ago that car would have been 225-250k or more.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gas prices, economy, stock market crash and close to 10% unemployment. Those that have the cars or are willing to buy them for ungodly amounts of cash, are watching closely their 401k's and mutuals go down the drain.

My wife and I purchase foreclosures and bankruptcies as investments, and now we are having a hard time even renting them out. That coupled with the tree huggers pushing for green cars and 50mpg, when most of my cars are 'gallons' per mile, not miles per gallon.

Close your eyes and imagine a world where our cars are illegal unless they meet a specific government standard MPG. They do it for emissions, imagine having to rework your car to follow those MPG guidelines just like emissions. It varies state by state, but who knows what todays government has planned. I mean did anyone ever think that US and Canada govts would be owners of GM?

I am glad I buy my cars for hobby and not investments.

Snell

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi I'm over here in Ireland. In 2002 I travelled to Philladelphia to look at a 68 fastback in bad condition. It's easy buy a restored Mustang in Ireland but you will 'not' buy a car for restoration, as for a fastback, forget about it! So I bought it for $4000 and shipped it home. Typical repairs, footwells, torque boxes, cowl, rebuilt the engine, brakes, interior, you know the story. Six and a half years later I'm at last on the road in my BULLIT fastback living the boyhood dream. The car was originally the same colour as your car (lime gold?) which I love. As I plan to replace all the sheet metal that I fabricated and patched someday, I feel I will go back to the original colour. It's not the most popular colour and as such you seldom see one on the road, to me that makes it all the more desirable. Keep up the good work.
Declan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts