Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Vendor
3,588 Posts
About 8 years ago I was going through my home town in a older part of town. There was a house for sale with the garage door open. In it I could see a 56 Olds. Personally I think the 56 Olds was a great looking car and one of my all time favorites. Obviously this car had not seen the light of day in years. So I stop in and ask if I can look at the car. It hadn’t been on the road since the early 70’s. It’s not in bad shape for it’s age in the rust belt. It’s a 4 door and the grand son right away starts telling me how much a 56 Olds went for on BJ.
You have discriminating taste!! :) I'm a 1955 man myself, and I couldn't pass up this opportunity to flash a photo of my '55 98 Holiday, rare single-tone paint (I think it looks elegant that way) with red leather/cloth interior, 21K original miles. It's my favorite car from the 50's in our NPD collection.

Regarding the grandson of the '56 Olds owner, surely he knows that the car had too many doors to hit a high number at BJ... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
You have discriminating taste!! :) I'm a 1955 man myself, and I couldn't pass up this opportunity to flash a photo of my '55 98 Holiday, rare single-tone paint (I think it looks elegant that way) with red leather/cloth interior, 21K original miles. It's my favorite car from the 50's in our NPD collection.

Regarding the grandson of the '56 Olds owner, surely he knows that the car had too many doors to hit a high number at BJ... ;)
Thank you and so do you, that’s a beautiful car!

That’s exactly what I told the kid. But that’s all you need to see what it sold on BJ no matter how many doors apparently.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
One thing that I don't agree with on that Hagerty guide on is that (-10% for Auto Tranny).... No way... C4 Auto cars will outsell a 3-speed Manual car today all day long....whether you like stick or not. The C4 Auto just appeals to more buyers especially since most people can't drive stick....just like it did originally..though back in the day more people actually knew how to drive stick and today its just an extra security device...lol.. Now the 4-speed I can understand. Hagerty shows a (+10% for 4-Speed) , and I definitely agree with that...as more people are willing to pay a premium for a 4-speed no matter what engine is under the hood.

I'm in Florida...and I find most coupes here in driver shape sells from 8k-10k for a decent driver.... though prices are climbing a bit within recent years..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Around here you never see a fastback or vert, it’s all coupes. I saw this ‘65 for sale today. It’s a 289 automatic C code, not a GT. it’s been repainted years ago, and it needs painted again. I see hidden rust and nothing special. The owner wants $14,000 for the car because he says they go for big money at Barrett Jackson auctions.

Are prices going up this much or am I undervaluing this coupe?
same car by me same canvas top in nice red, on the old internet about $4,500 and he’s extremely negotiable but that’s rare everyone out there thinks they got gold.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I shop extensively for Mustangs. 2 coupes last year. I offered 25k on one that was definitely for sale with a sign at a show and was soundly rejected. Another sold within minutes of arrival at another show for 25k and I would have paid that. Both were C code cars. Nothing out of this world like crazy suspensions and wild motors but very nice restomodish type cars. Coupes have definitely went up in price but the thing is you can have 2 at 20k asking prices and one is and awesome restoration that someone spent 35k on and the other is a 12k car with a 2k paint job and some nice chrome wheels. Its more important than ever to do a thorough inspect as folks are very good at hiding things and taking very strategic photos. I have found this out to my detriment many times

Interesting thing is to look at completed auctions on ebay. Lots of cars not sold and yes I understand many cars sell and are taken off ebay but you can see the trend where the stuff that actually sells offically are the projects and cars that appear underpriced in the market at first glance and then you see the issues. Also there are a few sellers on ebay who I have bought cars from and will NEVER buy from again and they appear to sell lots of stuff but I know why.

The fastback asking prices have went wild and sellers are a bit crazy. I called on a car for sale the other day in Virginia. The guy didn't answer the phone after several calls which is not completely unusual as I am calling from another country. I finally got in touch with a friend in Virginia and had him call. The guy answered and my friend drove an hour to see the car. He did a full inspection. Good car, "Okay" single stage paint, V8 and Automatic. I made the guy an offer, a good market price offer, Not an insult by any means. He refused, said he wanted to wait until his "cash buyer" flew in from somewhere the next day. I raised my offer, still he refused. I then tested him with "what if I paid full asking"? He said he still wanted to see if the guy the next day put cash in his hand. Now I know what you are thinking....he made a promise to a guy who bought plane tickets....I understand that totally as I am honorable as well. BUT...I looked at the cars listing the next day...price up 4k!!! So he completely wasted by inspectors time and my money (to pay the guy for his time and effort)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
One problem is that in a good economy there are people with 10k that want to buy a classic. They go to CL , FB or ebay and start looking at cars in their price range.

Lots of 4-5-6k car with a 10k asking price.

The uninformed cough up their 10k for a car worth half that.

They put another 5k into it and think they now have a 20k car.

As the price goes up, there are fewer buyers. Those fewer buyers for the most part have a much better grasp of value and recognize a quality car vs a lipstick on a pig car.

My 67 is a lipstick on a pig car, but I traded a lipstick on a pig car for it. The PO used elcheapo parts, but the body is rock solid without the usual rust issues. When I sell, somebody is going to get a great blank canvas to start with.

·
Vendor
3,588 Posts
Beautiful! I’ll take a 57 please. I have an irrationally strong desire for a 57 Olds. Every detail of it is just so right.
One of my dad's best friends has a couple of dandy '57's, a 98 2-door h/t with the J2 option, and a Fiesta wagon survivor (in nice shape, not barn-find shape).

1955, 1956, 1957, you can't go wrong with any of those years. Oldsmobile had it "going on" in the mid-50's, and the Rocket V8 was the cat's pajamas, fast car for its day.. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Huskinhano. Cali? Nobody calls California that unless they’re not from here. But yeah, lots of old rust-free cars around here. Though these days most people seem to drive a Tesla. They’re quick cars but they have nothing on a classic Mustang. 🙂

·
Dimples
3,659 Posts
One of my dad's best friends has a couple of dandy '57's, a 98 2-door h/t with the J2 option, and a Fiesta wagon survivor (in nice shape, not barn-find shape).

1955, 1956, 1957, you can't go wrong with any of those years. Oldsmobile had it "going on" in the mid-50's, and the Rocket V8 was the cat's pajamas, fast car for its day.. :)
Heck yeah! It’s kind of rare to run into another tri-five Olds fan. Great minds.

·
Vendor
3,588 Posts
Heck yeah! It’s kind of rare to run into another tri-five Olds fan. Great minds.
The "nostalgia" quotient for Tri-5 Chevrolets is so high, and the demand drives the values so high, that you can typically buy an equivalent-condition Tri-5 Olds for half the money of a Chevrolet.

Which is nuts... Just nuts... If you were to actually compare the two vehicles side-by-side, and then drive them. No comparison.. The Olds is twice as much car, for half as much money.

·
Dimples
3,659 Posts
The "nostalgia" quotient for Tri-5 Chevrolets is so high, and the demand drives the values so high, that you can typically buy an equivalent-condition Tri-5 Olds for half the money of a Chevrolet.

Which is nuts... Just nuts... If you were to actually compare the two vehicles side-by-side, and then drive them. No comparison.. The Olds is twice as much car, for half as much money.
No kidding? Wow, I hadn’t really priced them because I figured they were unobtanium.

Don’t do this to me man. I don’t have enough room in my garage as it is, lol.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Washington D.C. is a very pricey area as well and you'll see far fewer Mustangs out here than West Coast (I'm from Seattle many years ago see them all over when I visit/visited). This makes the good ones pricey.

So I felt pretty lucky when I found my former Cali car with good paint for 11k in a totally straight & rust free and with a rebuilt 302 + tranny all outside the car waiting to be put it. That was actually in Richmond, VA. Saw a beautiful 67 up by Boston advertised 15k on Hemmings Jan 2019...similar no rust. Much nicer interior somewhat nicer paint. But engine and tranny were crap and one driver Fender was hung on crooky during his 2001 resto. Would have cost allot to rebuild those and the guy was still pushing 13-14k in winter! I offered 12k and he balked I walked. So yea prices are going up but it's all about who is dumb enough to pay 15-16k for a ratty coupe. But this is how availability and pressure bumps prices and we are near the end of a powerful economic expansion cycle.

Last time I owned circa 2000 a nicely painted couple with minimal rust running well could be had for as little (I got mine for 4000) at 3k-6k. Those times are long freaking gone just shows how much prices snapped up. Fastbacks....yeah out of my league unless I want my other car to be a Honda Civic instead of an Audi S4 :/ no way San Jose.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts