Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the very back ends of the rear frame rails totally open or folded shut? Meaning if I remove the rear cross member will I have access to the inside of the frame rail? If someone has a pic of their rear cross member removed I'd might be apt to say thank you very much :thumbup:

On the front frame rails the outer half of end is open while the inner half is folded shut.

N

·
0 Posts
Yep folded over at the very back. I have a brand new 6566 rear crossmember that hasnt been installed yet. Would that help you?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they folded over both left and right side so it is totally enclosed? Any pics would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Couldn't you just post it so we can all benefit? Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
ZFORCE said:
Couldn't you just post it so we can all benefit? Thanks
No its a secret I am keeping from you because you are from Arizona. One time my tire went flat and in Arizona and I walked all the way across the state and nobody offered to help me. I have since carried a grudge.........................................................................................

sorry, yes I am a smart ass just ask my wife. I will try and post pics tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
I believe both sides are folded towards hte middle.. The TOP is open if it helps you.. :D

But the back is folded over because isn't there a spot weld there, or is that just the bottom. can't remember since I did it.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gregg,
You answered my question with thanks. I see 4 spot welds on the end which holds the rear cross member. I was hoping the rear was open so when I remove the rear cross member I can blow out a bunch of dirt and then stick my undercoating probe into the back end to coat the insides of this frame rail.

Hmmmmmm. I still might consider opening up one of the flanges that are bent closed, do my spray and then bend it back into place. Odds are the flanges are not welded together.

N

·
0 Posts
The flanges on my repro frame rails are just folded over. You could pretty easily bend them out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Access from the rear cross member might still be limited due to the shackle mount. I don't think there is a lot of space between the mount and the bottom of the rail or to the floor panel.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking at Greggs pics more carefully I agree that the shackle stuff might prevent the paint gun's probe from passing over or under. So I might wait and drop shackles and leafs in order to open up the passage.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There were 6 spot welds on each rail, 3 per flange. I don't think you could easily spray past the shackle area, as there really isn't much room top or bottom. Plus that bushing mount is welded to the rail, so I can't see getting around it without removing a small section of the floor and then rewelding it back in.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh bummer. I'll have to see what I can do.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pat,
Thanks for the shots. I think I'll go ahead and remove the portion of the rear cross member that is attached to the frame rail and then open up the two flanges. Hopefully the probe is small enough to fit over or under the internal cross members.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
These were the factory rear rails drilled & cut out from my '70 FB Craig.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193233563-DSC00470.JPG

You can see the folded rears and the drilled spot welds

1 - 20 of 22 Posts