Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hunting around for an axle-to-axle or even just parts for a 9" and it's been making me wince every time. Planning a simple DD build on a shoestring budget and it's outright murder. Any tips/suggestions guys?

FWIW, I'm more than willing to go piecemeal on the deal, pull-parts and whatnot, but it's like everything's track-related these days.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Why does it have to be a 9"? I am finishing up with my 8.8 swap and am in it for well under 500 total.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
What year mustang?

How's $800 for an full assembly (sans brakes)

Housing
3.55 pumpkin
31 spline axles

All used stuff from junkyards. Housing needs TLC, axles need bearing/clean up.

·
Registered
760 Posts
What year mustang?

How's $800 for an full assembly (sans brakes)

Housing
3.55 pumpkin
31 spline axles

All used stuff from junkyards. Housing needs TLC, axles need bearing/clean up.
Sounds awesome to me. I'm going to be $1,500 into mine, and that's doing the assembly and install myself.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I found a 1957 9" in a 1956 Ford. The Ford was in very sad condition. When the forklift picked it up, the rusty frame bent in half. It was a local junkyard that belonged to a friend of a friend.

I need to sandblast the housing because it is pretty rusty. The 1957 9" lines up perfectly for the 65-66 Mustang.

Ford 9-inch Rear End Data

·
Registered
353 Posts
Been hunting around for an axle-to-axle or even just parts for a 9" and it's been making me wince every time. Planning a simple DD build on a shoestring budget and it's outright murder. Any tips/suggestions guys?

FWIW, I'm more than willing to go piecemeal on the deal, pull-parts and whatnot, but it's like everything's track-related these days.
The problem is that there's not many junkyard 9in housings or shafts in Mustang sizes left for picking any longer.

All the later big-car and pickup housings require significant rework and the axles need to be shortened or replaced with newly-manufactured shafts.

The center-section pieces aren't that hard to come by and a TrueTrac diff is $450-500 or whatever no matter whether you're talking about an 8in, 9in, 8.8, whatever.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
David, I have to ask too. Why a 9" for a daily driver?? If you're interested in an 8" that will work, look me up. I'm just down the road from you in N.E. Columbia. I have an 8" that is out of a Maverick (thought I was buying a 6 cyl Maverick at one time and was prepared to upgrade to a V8 5 lug suspension) It's now sitting in my way in my storage area under my porch. The spring perches might have to be cut off and rewelded since it was in a street rod project when I bought it. It is as narrow as a '65-'66 housing so it can be used without tire clearance issues.

EDIT: I see you have a '68. Would still fit, but you would have a narrower rear track than front. If you were going with some 10" wide rear wheels maybe, but maybe the 8.8 is your ticket.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I just wish there was exact "how to" for the 8.8
It seems that there are so many different opinions on what will get the job done.
i.e. from fox body or, cut axle tube and get another shorter axle from ranger, etc

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just wish there was exact "how to" for the 8.8
It seems that there are so many different opinions on what will get the job done.
i.e. from fox body or, cut axle tube and get another shorter axle from ranger, etc
I think having all the different options makes it easier. It can be confusing, I agree. You can do it dirt cheap or put some cash into it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think having all the different options makes it easier. It can be confusing, I agree. You can do it dirt cheap or put some cash into it.
If I'm trying to do something decent and reasonably priced I'd start with the Explorer housing no matter what, there's zillions of them out there, you get a decent disc setup as part of the package, 3.55s and Trac-Loks are common in them, and you don't have as much rework to do on the mounts and getting rid of the four-link bracketry as you'd have on a Fox/SN95/whatever rearend.

Shortening one tube is not a big deal, but make sure whoever does the welding on the thing knows what they're doing and doesn't warp the crap out of the tubes.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Agreed with Beau. I'm finishing up a 8.8" swap in my 68 too. Different opinions means people have tried different things and got successful results. Use our experience as a "how to". Just search for "8.8 swap" and you'll get tons of threads.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It would be nice to have a sticky that is locked with all the different options from start to finish so it's an easy thread for people to find.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I found my 8.8 WITH 3.55 gears installed for $120CAD. Add to that a couple of junkyard axles ($100, I can't remember?) and hten I yoinked some discs of an SN95. Still haven't really tested out my adapters (ERr, they are a little ghetto. I should redo them). But besides that, the trac lok still seems to work great!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There are still Ebay deals.
three years ago I bought a cougar 9" complete for $299.
I had to drive 6 hours round trip to get it, but it was worth it.
The seller refused to look at it to see what gears it had.
When I got it home I discovered 3.91 gears and a mini spool.
Cheap 9"s are still out there if you look.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason for a 9" is basically for the fact that it's the go-to for most big-block engines, and while I'm planning to run a small engine to start, there's no telling what might happen down the line; what says I don't find a 351 Cleveland for a price too good to pass up (and the wallet for the gas)? I'll probably grab an 8.8 and enjoy it, but it's one've those 'better prepared' issues.

Though, I've come across a store on ebay that's got my eye. Anyone on here ever deal with these guys before? Quick Performance Racing items - Get great deals on Ring Pinions Gears, Spools items on eBay Stores!
The housings look a little dodgey, but for a driver, plug ugly isn't unheard of. Regardless, the prices don't look too shabby.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Interesting. Apparently mines worth more then I thought it was. When I jump to an IRS I should be pretty set when it comes to selling it.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Interesting. Apparently mines worth more then I thought it was. When I jump to an IRS I should be pretty set when it comes to selling it.
Ditto! I finally saw where someone makes an IRS that fits under a '65-'66. Eventually I want to upgrade to that, but first I need to get the car on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts