Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is a perfect case of someone putting more money into building a "modified" classic than they'll never get back. Luckily, they can ask whatever they want but the odds of getting anything close to that number are pretty slim.

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMHO, if you shop for a car just like yours for a month, you should have a pretty good idea what they are worth. If you were a buyer, that would be a good gauge to set expectations. Your car is worth what somebody will actually pay, no more, no less.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Since the stock market has pretty much crashed the chances of any sane person paying that kind of money right now are zero.
Your absolutely right. When the fat cats are making money they commission projects like these that can cost 300K or more. I see them at the hot rod shows competing to see who is the most bitchen car guy on the planet. When the market is down the high dollar restomod builds vanish. I learned a long time ago that if you restore a car or modify it using era correct speed equipment you will at least get your parts money back. Your labor you right off as entertainment. I bet on a car like this you loose 50% of the build cost or more.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
E
This is a perfect case of someone putting more money into building a "modified" classic than they'll never get back. Luckily, they can ask whatever they want but the odds of getting anything close to that number are pretty slim.
Exactly I mean I'm sure we all have put way more than we would have like to spend on our cars but that doesn’t make them worth anymore

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
I have owned my car almost 30 years and have less in it than a brand new one would cost!!... but only because I haven't had to cut it up or pay anybody to do anything but paint it once and machine shop work on the 289.
One thing I'm glad I don't have to pay for as labor. You're right @Vintage Ford Guy , it's a labor of love. I wish I could do it full time...

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I bet it stops real good with those "Wildwood" brakes. Sort of reminds me of the old Jim Stafford song, "Wildwood Weed"

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
For a "high end" build, those AC lines look horrible shooting over to the apron. Stock style routing would look better. Run-of-the-mill Wilwood front brakes, meh ... I agree though, to many people with too much bloody money to waste, they may well find a buyer.

·
Just some guy
20,249 Posts
I don't know, I recall a Barret-Jackson auction where an Eleanor brought like 180K. It was close to being like this car except being a straight up movie prop clone.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
He's lost his mind and his wallet. Someone will eventually buy that for a LOT less than the asking price. Either from the current owner when he needs cash and faces reality, or from his estate's beneficiaries who'll just want some cash.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts