Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these expensive sound deadeners/heat shields worth it compared to the $50 replacement underlays that are made out of rubber and asphalt that NPD sells. I understand why you would not want something that would absorb moisture, but what real noticeable difference am I going to see between the no name brand NPD underlay and the Dynamat brand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was too having the same issue with the price thing, However I found a brand called "Dexdamp" from a local marine outlet. It is heat shield and sound inhibitor basically it is dynamat without the logos on it. They make several different models including one with a lead core for especially noisy areas. Here is some info from the company I bought my stuff from http://www.hamiltonjet.com/noise/noiseinfo.html

Anyhow check it out, not only do they have suitable material for flat panel vibrations but products especially designed to work on firewalls, under hood, and on floors and ceilings to reduce road and wind noise.

Paul

·
Registered
597 Posts
There's a huge difference, 65BlueCoupe - trust me, you'd notice it immediately. I've recommended the Second Skin Audio products before here on VMF - imho, they make the best sound dampening products can buy.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have purchased two gallons of this product www.quietcoat.com I have not applied it yet but it does look promising. Since the interior was not in place, and there is no wiring either it seemed like it would be quick and easy. I plan to apply it to the rear wheel wells, and to the interior floor areas. I will not apply this to either the interior or exterior firewall, or the underside of the car. I have already installed a new firewall insulation mat, and I took the time to carefully clean, paint, and detail the underside of the car. It would be a shame to cover all that work with this rubbery looking substance.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I used this on all the floor, hump and seat areas inside my car.
Sound/Heat deadener I also have the repro asphalt pieces on top of this. Took a little work to get the carpet in, but is really worth it.

I used a dynomat type product that I found locally on my doors and rear interior qtr panels.

The car is so much quieter and I get a lot less heat coming from the floor now. If you look around at places like Mcmaster-carr, home depot, etc, you can find similar items more affordably.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Whatever you do just make sure that what you use will not hold moisture. I know it sounds kinda silly but some of that stuff holds moisture. Definately a BAAAD thing!! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Which one of the products did you use from second skin? They seem to have a few different products that would work well in our classics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed "Frost King" roll insulating foam with heavy duty foil backing in my 2000 Corvette last year to reduce the road noise. Worn run-flats tend to be rather noisey and that stuff did the trick.
The product is available from Lowe's and has a adhesive backing. Remove all carpet,lay it out and trim it to fit. I did my Vette with 3 rolls for $45 total. The tunnel on a C5 runs warm from engine heat, the foam and foil just about eliminated that as well.
Check out this post from Corvetteforum.com foil insulation
This guy used a different product but the idea is the same.

·
Registered
597 Posts
68FB390: I've been using their new products - which can be found on their Specials page (if you order from that page, you'll also receive a substantial discount).

I've mostly used Damplifier Pro (formerly STFU-80) - think I have about 70 square feet of that stuff in my car now (entire floor, rear/package tray, double layers in floor pans, behind quarter windows, behind door panels, etc).

For the firewall, I pulled out my old, mouldy firewall pad, and replaced it with a layer of Damplifier Pro and then a layer of their Luxury Liner (formerly Vinyl Liner) on top of it. You wouldn't believe how quiet the inside of the car is now.

Here are some pictures, btw .. (yeah, still need to do the doors (again), but that'll have to wait until I finish the power lock/window wiring)

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/stangpicts/sounddamp1.jpg
http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/stangpicts/sounddamp2.jpg
http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/stangpicts/sounddamp3.jpg

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Dude, the Aliens will never be able to get into your head in that car!!! Now, just add a few coat hangers and you'll be good to go!! :: :: ::

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hahah - yeah, it both dampens the sound & keeps out the mind control rays. Very handy.

If you have any questions about the SS stuff, just email Ant (the owner) directly at [email protected] - he's very friendly, and will tell you exactly what you need.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
This is just the thread I've been looking for. A keeper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts