Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used set of Torque Thrust style wheels for my 66 Fastback. On closer inspection I noticed the center is aluminum, mounted inside a steel wheel. [Any newer TT's I see are all-aluminum. They have no markings other that 'Made in USA' and a center cap with the word 'Magster'. These wheels are really old, could they have come new on a Ford or Shelby?
What vehicles did this style wheel come on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
are you sure they arent magnesium?

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd Dietrich
restomod junkie, 19 year old kid who has too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I suppose. I can't tell the dsiffderence. But--- it is just the center that would be magnesium. It is mounted inside a steel rim.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
A torque Thrust style wheel never came on a Ford new. When I first read your Post I thought I read MagSTAR, rather than MagSTER, which may have been a play by the original manufacterer on the Kelsey-Hayes manufactured product. A number of manufacterers produced budget minded alternatives matching your description to the American Racing TTs including Ansen, Keystone, and ET. These other wheels varied from very shallow, round spokes to deep, peaked spokes. Perhaps another, "seasoned" VMFer will recognize the Magster name and be able to identify who made the wheel for you.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom. Just to confirm... I checked, and the name is MagSTER. It's spokes are a little wider,and flatter than a new set of American Racing wheels we have in stock.
If the TT style wheel didn't come on a Ford, did it come on a Shelby? the R model? Thanks for info.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The only Mustang with a Factory Torque Thrust (or style) wheel was the R-model Shelbys made in 65, and the Shelby built Group 2 (Trans Am) coupes. All of these rims were made of Magnesium with a manufacturing date on the flat where (on a street rim) the cap would be screwed on. I'm sure your center would be aluminum or (as with some wheels) pot-metal. Magnesium rims are not made with steel rims due to the electrolitic corrosive effects of the dissimilar metals. For more boring, verbose, superfolous crap, read on: Magnesium is EXTREMELY porous, and corrodes rapidly when openly exposed to air, just from the humidity, and cracks and failures of the material more often than not begins from the inside with no external contra-indications

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would one of those companies have "MAGSTER" on a chromed metal cap, or was there an actual company called Magster?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I passed on several nice sets of these composite wheels before I found a set of all aluminum wheels. I will never run a wheel built like that. The wheel is basically pressed and glued together. After many years of flexing, it will likely let go! How old are these again?

Nobody that I know of makes wheels like that anymore, and for a reason. You can't weld the sections together.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, but I would not run them on my car.

Keith

64 1/2 coupe built around April 30, 1964
was a 260 3-speed becoming a 5.0 5-speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts