Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, in preparation for hydroboast brake system I ordered in some parts. Suggested install uses 67 Mustang brake and clutch assembly (modified to fit 65). Parts arrived and the brake pedal is about 3 inches longer than the 65 pedal. Clutch pedal is same length as 65. Parts are marked with correct part numbers.
On my 65 pedal set, both pedals are same length. These look correct or do I have a wrong part?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
It is not possible to use a 67-70 power brake pedal on a 65-66 Mustang, unless you are willing to do some serious chopping and welding on the underside of the cowl. If the vendor advised you to use these parts, return them and find a more knowledgeable vendor.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not possible to use a 67-70 power brake pedal on a 65-66 Mustang, unless you are willing to do some serious chopping and welding on the underside of the cowl. If the vendor advised you to use these parts, return them and find a more knowledgeable vendor.

I will be modifying the bracket itself, welding up the mounting holes and redrilling them closer together. Have to use holesaw to move MC up a couple inches. Believe me, after some of the stuff I have already done, this shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a power brake pedal, it pivots from a higher point.
Yep, 65/66 didn't have power brakes and used lower pivot points.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, couple guys on Facebook knew exactly what I was asking and got me an answer real quick, then I found a picture which lined up with what they were telling me. On manual brake systems the brake pedal is shorter and shares the pivot point with the clutch. The power brake systems used a longer pedal and the pivot point was in a hole higher in the support bracket with the end result being different fulcrum point both pedals hanging down about the same distance. This isn't from Mustang Steve but he does offer a similar setup and will modify the 67 pedal assembly for a 66 as part of the package (additional expense of course).
4151-2.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts