Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy who is in the market for a fastback. He has talked to several dealers and several have the same story. Why would I drop my price for you when someone from overseas will pay top dollar and then some for the car? One of them stated that he witnessed over a hundred classic cars being loaded onto a ship in New York to be shipped overseas. Once they are out of the country, they are not coming back. With the dollar at a severe weak position currently, the trend will only continue.

The future of the hobby appears to be only for the wealthy. I hope every dealer/seller on this board thinks about this before they make a sale to an overseas buyer. I am not intending to slight any foreign vmf'ers, just stating the facts. Every seller wants to get top dollar for their car, but surely there is a point where enough profit is enough.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Cry me a river.

That is the idea behind a market economy.

My 2+2 came from Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
We've had a couple of local cars go to Australia and we're sending more and more orders overseas.
It's all about the dollar!
Thanks, Doc

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not so much talking about Canada. We have a fighting chance at getting that car back, but thanks for making my point. I should have said across the sea instead of overseas I guess.

I agree it is more profitable Doc, but are you sacrificing the future for today? Just a question.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
With the number of these early mustangs still around I don't think the hobby is being sacrificed to overseas buyers. Does it affect the price/cost of cars here in the US? Probably. As you indicated your friend isn't able to get a dealer to budge off his price. Is the car he's looking at so rare that he couldn't find something similar from a private seller?

·
Registered
269 Posts
they are collectors cars, that means people(usually rich people) will collect them

the only advantage is the 67's dynafab body's are being built will help a little

look at 68-69 camaro's you need $10,000 just to get a rusted out shell, but you can still get a good rolling chassis mustang for half that what i think of is big boys toys = big boys bills!

but that guy saying he personally saw 100,s of cars being loaded onto a ship i call bs they would wait for 1 person to buy the car for $100,000 than sell it locally for $20,000.
after all compare the USD to the GBP.
$100,000 USD is only $51,000 GBP consider they are buying a standard car for $30,000 gbp or a classic for 51,000 gbp which would you choose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points all. I'm not specifically concerned about what the cars are going for today. I'm talking about ten or fifteen years from now when the rare fastbacks, shelbys, and so on are even more rare. When an A code fastback becomes extremely rare due to scarcity in the market not production/wrecked/whatever scarcity.

My buddy has been looking mainly on ebay, and I know that is an inherently worldwide market. Maybe I should suggest he be real patient and look in other places. He wants a 1965 or 1966 A code fastback, nothing special.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I doubt many "overseas" buyers are paying more then BJ prices.

More interest in the hobby, higher prices. Capitalism in action... who sells to the lowest bidder???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well,, I guy I work with built a 61 vette a few years ago.. it had the best of everything,, and it was a reproduction body,, he sold it to a person from South Africa that person had a guy from Texas do the local pick-up and payment for it,, it is now over there,, probably never to see the USA again,,, he did get what he wanted for it which was over 120,000.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Perhaps he should offer market price rather than complain about others buying them instead of him.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am pretty sure that his point is that20 years from now when our kids are old enough to be able to enjoy a classic mustang there wont be any to buy. But whats new! a lot of people are all about a dollar today and careless about tomorrow. hopefully my kids will be able to inherit my classics as cars and not rust buckets, as in the condition they are in now :shrug:

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
The Roman Empire is coming to an end and the emporer has no clothes ;)

Seriously, all the signs are there, our Mustangs being but one canary in the coal mine...

·
Registered
793 Posts
It may be our hobby but to many it is not and that is something that will only get worse.And it may get worse as gas prices rise.

mike

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
If your point is in 10-15 years, I think the whole collector car market is in question then not just Mustangs. Sadly, most younger people don't have a very strong interest in these cars or if they do they may not be able to afford them right now. The baby boomers are a driving force of the market now. Many guys are buying up cars they had or wish they had back in the 60's or 70's to relive their glory days. I think once the baby boomer population ages another 10 years we may see the whole muscle car market slow down. Supply and demand. Look at what happened with model T's...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think 20 years from now there will still be a hobby, it will just be about the cars that the next generation grows up with.
Watch for the new site "VHF"
"vintage Honda forum"
:puke:

·
Registered
343 Posts
The whole hobby is crazy anyway. $100,000 for a Boss 302! $165,000 for a Shelby? It's all Barrett-Jackson's fault I tell you!

I think some of them will be returning home when the dollar becomes stronger. Right now classic cars are the new gold standard.

BTW, how much does your friend want to spend? I can line him up with a really nice A code, 4 speed '65 fastback for $32,000 and it's still here in this country.
Rich

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
And how many Ferarris, Maseratis, Minis and Ford T5s are here, never to return to Europe? You certainly won't see me complaining abouth them shipping new US cars overseas due to the "weak" dollar. Nor will I complain when a classic is exported to a collector who will allow the beautiful cars we love to be enjoyed by more than just us. :poke:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
shortstoke said:
The whole hobby is crazy anyway. $100,000 for a Boss 302! $165,000 for a Shelby? It's all Barrett-Jackson's fault I tell you!
this needs to happen to barrett-jackson :deadhorse:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts