Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the situation. My 71 Mach 1 is about 2 weeks from the paint shop. I just picked up the gallon of Med Blue Metallic base today, and my painter and I were discussing the argent lower body and hood paint. He is unable to locate a paint formula for the correct color, and his book doesn't show a code. I have checked autocolorlibrary.com for the codes, and the PPG sheet only shows a "silver poly" as a trim paint in 71. I can get this easily, but I don't think it is the correct color. In '73 there is a listing for an Argent, with a PPG # of 32500, which also leads nowhere with any of the suppliers I've checked with.

I am looking for a supplier of the correct paint. I do not want it in a rattle can, I know they are available, but this project deserves a better finish than that. I would prefer a single stage urethane, as a base/clear will not look right at the tape line on the hood. Lacquer is out, but if I must, I will use an enamel.

Let me know what you guys with a 71-3 have done....

G

·
0 Posts
I had a 72 Mach 1 that was green metallic with the argent stripes. This is what I did. At the time, I was a painter in a body shop. We used PPG (I believe it is the best, there are other good brands out there, but make sure you use a quality paint.) We had many paint chip books. One of them was an ancient one covered with dust that listed many older cars. It didn't show the color chips, it only listed the codes. I don't remember what the color was called, but silver poly might have been the color. All paint manufacturers give the color their own name and PPG calls all of their metallic poly. Your jobber should have access to the color library from PPG. They can call and find out for you.

I made a nice daily driver so I used BC/CC on everything. It made it so much easier and quicker for me when I was in the paint booth.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts