Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a new thread about this in case we come up with a place that makes these unicorns. I did try a web search, a site search here, and just about screamed it from the top of Mont Eagle here in Tennessee. Per the Marti report, my car came with the Argent wheel option, and since everyone seems to just go with the Magnum 500's, I thought I'd try to be different and run the originals.... or so I thought.

Anyone know where/who might be making these phantom wheels? I'd love to either find some, or have a set of reproductions made in the 15 inch size, but I can't seem to find these things anywhere, and I've alway prided myself as a sort of "finder of things" lol

Thanks as always!

-Anthony

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
this was the missing piece to my puzzle for many years. I called all over the country for them for a long long time until i got a solid lead from a guy in MO of all places

the ones above are not what your looking for if you want originals. those are not the same thing or even close

I found an original set at Classic Couger 8 yrs ago. 14x7s
wasent cheap. $150 each for used and I had to blast them and finish them off but at least they were straight., I bought a set of 5

I see NPDs new catalog say he has repops listed as 14x6. Maybe thats a misprint. you might want to call them to check it out
the ones he shows are closer to originals

I sold the M500 D2 part numbers that were on the car for $85 each with the center caps. so i was able to recoup half of my money anyways

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was the missing piece to my puzzle for many years. I called all over the country for them for a long long time until i got a solid lead from a guy in MO of all places

the ones above are not what your looking for if you want originals. those are not the same thing or even close

I found an original set at Classic Couger 8 yrs ago. 14x7s
wasent cheap. $150 each for used and I had to blast them and finish them off but at least they were straight., I bought a set of 5

I see NPDs new catalog say he has repops listed as 14x6. Maybe thats a misprint. you might want to call them to check it out
the ones he shows are closer to originals

I sold the M500 D2 part numbers that were on the car for $85 each with the center caps. so i was able to recoup half of my money anyways
Yeah, those posted above are nice, but not quite what these cars came with.

These are what I'm after:
70 Mach 1 Argent Styles Steel Wheels

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
It's a relatively new product, NPD # 1007-55A WHEEL, STYLED STEEL - #1007-55A - National Parts Depot

Disregard the "14 x 5" in the description, that's a typo (should be fixed in 24 hours), the wheels are 14 x 6 as original, D0ZZ-1007-B, argent style-steel for 1970-1971. $174.95/each not a bad deal for an all-new wheel.

We also have the caps and trim rings and lug nuts available, it's all spelled-out in the product description. Sorry that there's no photograph yet, we're straining to keep up with all this. Here's a photo of our catalog listing (which is where the 14 x 5 mistake started).

Rick
NPD

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks Rick! I can imagine there will be more people looking for these, is there a way to make this a sticky?

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
It's a relatively new product, NPD # 1007-55A WHEEL, STYLED STEEL - #1007-55A - National Parts Depot

Disregard the "14 x 5" in the description, that's a typo (should be fixed in 24 hours), the wheels are 14 x 6 as original, D0ZZ-1007-B, argent style-steel for 1970-1971. $174.95/each not a bad deal for an all-new wheel.

We also have the caps and trim rings and lug nuts available, it's all spelled-out in the product description. Sorry that there's no photograph yet, we're straining to keep up with all this. Here's a photo of our catalog listing (which is where the 14 x 5 mistake started).

Rick
NPD
Rick,

Are you planning on doing the 14x7 D0ZZ-C wheel as well? That was applicable to many more cars than the one year only 14X6 -B unit.

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
14x7 would make a lot more sense

14" tires are few and far between as it is now and to have to fit one to a 6 inch rim leaves even less choices

with 14x7 you can get a 235/60 on them. a lot easier to get a hold of these and they fill up the wheel well nicely

actually this is one part i wish they didnt repop. Everyone is going to be ditching the M500s and showing up with these and my car wont be as special anymore

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Considering most people threw away those argent wheels in favor of Magnum 500s or aftermarket wheels, I doubt you'll have that much competition.

I don't think I've ever seen a Mach 1 with those argent wheels. Most '70 Mach 1 Mustangs I've seen either have Magnum 500s or those silly wheel covers with fake lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was never sure if this wheel was offered for Mustangs. I just assumed it was. It's very rare. It's also a very poor wheel. I bought a set at a Pomona swap that had cracks radiating out from the inner corner of the vent holes. I took them to a shop that claimed to restore wheels, but some of the cracks reappeared. So I junked them. I did save the trim around the holes and rubber gaskets for them. I did get 4 c7zz-1210-a trim rings and still have 3 in the factory sealed plastic bags.

The wheel looks similar to the Mustang styled steel wheels.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
hey Rick
wow thats impressive background shot of the warehouse. Looks like a home depot.
which store is that.

how do you get your parts?. do you just walk in and pic them off the shelves then go out back to work lol

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
hey Rick
wow thats impressive background shot of the warehouse. Looks like a home depot.
which store is that.

how do you get your parts?. do you just walk in and pic them off the shelves then go out back to work lol
It's our Ocala FL warehouse/headquarters. An average Home Depot is 105,000 sq ft according to Google. Our FL warehouse is 360,000 sq ft.. 8.27 acres, under-roof, air-conditioned.

MI is 100,000 sq ft, NC is 78,000, and CA brings up the rear with a small footprint of only 18,000 sq ft. But they have a two-story mezzanine layout. Even still, they don't stock our Ford Truck or T-Bird lines due to lack of space.

When you see our ads on TV or in print bragging about the amount of inventory we keep, from obscure to fast-selling, it's no joke, it's not "made up" by the marketing team.

You might have fun playing around on our YouTube page. A lot of good videos on there that show the inside and outside of the FL warehouse and sales area from various vantage points. There's also a virtual tour of our car collection on there that was done by a visiting customer. Keep in mind however, that he completely forgot to walk the back-side of the collection, where all our late-models and trucks are kept. He missed roughly 60 vehicles in all.

I can't tell a lie... Is it friggin' awesome to be working on something, see that I need a part or two, and just walk over to the warehouse side and grab 'em?? Absolutely! But don't get any ideas, I have to bill/invoice every little thing that I pull for the car collection, because if I didn't it would skew our inventory counts. We rely heavily on laser-accurate inventory data, because we don't fool around with pick-lists. When you call in an order, it goes straight-to-invoice, and we pull/ship from that same invoice. If the computer says the part is there, it better damned well be there. It's a tight ship back there.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1970 Mach 1 R Code 2008 Shelby GT500
18 Posts
It may take a while to find them, but these original wheels are occasionally on the market.

About a year ago, found my 14x7 Argent Styled Steel Wheels on "pre-pandemic" [email protected] after much time searching and have seen one other set for sale on FB [email protected] which sold quickly.

Wow, NPD operation is impressive!

20200820_082846.jpg

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Those must be fairly rare wheels. I've looked at Mustangs my whole life and dont recall seeing a set of those on the road.

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
We rely heavily on laser-accurate inventory data, because we don't fool around with pick-lists. When you call in an order, it goes straight-to-invoice, and we pull/ship from that same invoice. If the computer says the part is there, it better damned well be there. It's a tight ship back there.

Rick
NPD
Which is exactly how it should be.

I have a salesman book for 1970 mustangs and dont remember seeing those rims for machs.
It's in there...

I had a set that came factory on a '71 Cougar XR-7 that I bought out of NJ. Factory M-code 4 speed car, wish it hadn't gotten wrecked by a teenybopper on her cell phone.

Put them on my 71 Mach when it was first finished, but they never looked "right".

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
They're actually, relatively, not that rare folks...

What makes them seemingly rare today, is because throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's, everyone tossed 'em aside and installed bigger Magnums with bigger tires.

They were literally a "no-charge" option on the Mach 1. Why anyone back then would've stuck with the caps is beyond me. Mind you, I'm fine with the caps too, my '70 Mach is a caps car. But if I was ordering a Mach back in the day, I would have checked the box for the free styled-steel wheels.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
love them wheels. its what make my car a 1 of 7 lol
without them it would be a 1 of 42 :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts