Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my car is a 70 fastback. bought a harness that didn't have any splices(under dash which includes the wiring to the alternator and starter relay). Decided to put in a newer style ford fuse box (blade type fuses) and all the splices at the fuse box were soldered. So anyway, i installed the harness back in and i went to turn the key over and nothing. lights work, wipers work, and heater works, but no ignition. checked the connector at where the ignition switch attaches to the underdash harness. looks connected completely. From what i know, the ignition doesn't go through the fuse box so i don't think the splicing of the fuse box wires affected it. The ignition worked before i took the harness out of the car, so it has to be somewhere. I do have the duraspark conversion and i checked the wiring diagram and the wiring setup is exact as it was before and corresponds to the wiring diagram. When i bump the motor over by using a screwdriver and touching the starter side of the starter relay and the positive post of the relay. it turns over but at the positive post it smokes and gets hot really quick. could it be grounding somewhere?? i have the brown wire going to the ignition side and the red wire going to the starter side, which is correct. there is an O-ring terminal that goes from the underdash harness to the starter relay and i have it on the positive post along with the positive battery cable and another O-ring terminal which is the power to my headlight relay conversion which is fused right after the terminal so if it was grounding out then the fuse would blow right away so i don't think that is it. battery just came off of the charger and the negative battery cable hasn't been touched from before and has a good negative. any suggestions? there is only one complication to the new wiring install that i could think of and that was when i removed my old harness at the alternator (there is a two prong connectors that connect from the harness at the voltage regulator/alternator and to the dash harness and the only one on the harness going from the dash to the starter relays and such)i broke off the male stub of the two prong connector that attaches to the alternator harness. i had to get another male prong from an old harness that i had and spliced the new prong into the connector. it is connected and not touching anything as i used elec. tape. well, any suggestions to check i would appreciate. Oh, the voltage regulator and the starter relay are both fairly new (haven't been driven but have idled with them a few times). thanks

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Very good description of your setup and your problem, but the only idea I have is to suggest you just start following power and grounds with a voltmeter. Something isn't right, and this sounds like a situation where all you can do is start going over everything very carefully.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts