Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where in the world is anyone buying an argon has bottle they wanted $250 just for the empty bottle what the heck that’s more than I paid for my welder lol so anyway where’d y’all buy yours? And is that actually what a bottle goes for?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually got mine from AirGas used, for less than 100 bucks filled, a few years ago
Dang that would be nice...I’m normally not one to complain about price I understand things cost money and stuff but considering how many times I’m gonna use it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
check your local gas/welding shop,Craigslist, FBmarket place, ect.
I'd just add that if you're looking on CL or FB, you might check with the gas suppliers and see if they have any bottle inspection/certification requirements before buying. I would be very frustrated if I bought a bottle from an estate sale and then learned no one would fill it.

Just a thought, take it for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Look on Craig's list. I paid $140 for #40 25/75 that was full, sealed like a tank from welding supply. Tank was legit, didn't ask how came about. Months later I paid him $200 for sealed full #60 Argon. (maybe they fall off the back of the truck).

The #40 tank from Welding supply was $240

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Depending on the size $250 would be the price for an empty larger cylinder or full small cylinder. How most of the welding gas places work is they rent/lease the bottle for a monthly charge. They will also swap your owned bottle (some will fill your bottle at the plant) if you bring it in. The last argon bottle I swapped was about $80 for 150 cu/ft.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Around here they have a limit on exchanging owner bottles, nothing over 80CF. If you need something bigger, you have to go to the leased bottle.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I paid 200 for mine about a decade ago. Just so I could swap it anywhere. Now that I live in central mn, no one owns their own bottle and i struggled to find someone that would swap it. They just didn't believe me that i owned it.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I scored my tanks several years ago when my Dad's neighbor died. He was a machinist, so I ended up buying the oxy acetylene torch set up he had along with extra tanks, papers, and cart for $60 from his wife. She knew me from when I was a little chit, so was happy to sell them to me. I've had zero issues swapping the tanks for full ones- nor asked for proof of ownership. Definitely a great tool to have..... just don't let everyone else know you have one when you get it!

·
Super Moderator
9,001 Posts
Be sure that it’s date stamped approved, otherwise it won’t be filled.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It depends on the size of the bottle of course...but I have bought them off of ebay, got them from Airgas etc....its easiest just to get them from Airgas generally. I think I paid $120ish for the 80 cubic foot one I use for Argon with the TIG...paid some $70 off of Ebay for the smaller 60 cubic foot I had for my MIG(don't buy a 60 cubic foot if you only want to exchange, most places dont stock that size)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got a 60cuft bottle locally of straight argon today $250 out the door for the bottle and since i bought it they threw in the fill... when it runs out its $45 for a fill.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Robert's Oxygen in MD

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Curious, how long are they good for....is it like a propane bbq tank--10 yr and then they will not re-fill?? I just do the exchange at my welder supply shop.
Depends on the cylinder and contents. The base is 5 years and can be extended to 10 with the proper stamp. Some places charge $10 or so for a hydro test while the Airgas I use just swap the bottle no matter the stamp on what I bring in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts