Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new holes have a lip where they do not go through all the layers of metal in the shock tower, so it is not flat where the lock washer sits.

Do I use a flat washer or not worry about it?

Im ready to reinstall today.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I trimmed a like thickness washer to fill the gap, and used adhesive thi keep it in place. Then used a full washer over it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reinstalling the upper control arms, I have a 65 manual and it says 55-75 lbs, it seems like it should be around 90 lbs.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to torque them to 85#. Its a grade 8 bolt so Im not going to break it.

The driver side spring is in. The Arning drop lowers the control arm 1" and these are 1" drop springs.

I only compressed the spring about an inch to get it in and with the suspension hanging free and no shock installed, the spring does not fully seat.

The bottom is butted up against the stop and the spring rubber touches on the inboard side but not on the outboard side. If I pushed down on the lower control arm, I think I could pull the spring out.

Im either going to have a super low ride height or a pretty harsh ride. At least it will not look like a gasser.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Interesting. I still had to press the coil spring (GT 1" lower) quite a bit to make it fit.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is right at 13" between the UCA saddle and the bracket in the top of the shock tower.

The spring is also about 13" tall with the rubber installed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pretty common to not have to compress the drop springs to get them in and with the shock in place it will be held in fine. Arming drop will only lower the car approximately half the distance you moved the arm so expect about 1/2 - 5/8 drop from that. Your car will probably sit much higher than you expect, don't be surprised to have to cut the spring to get it where you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts