Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,648 Posts
Do you have a piece of paper and a ruler?

It's simple to make your own as there's no trigonometry or rocket science involved.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I made a few of them years ago for some guys and have one left for a 66. They were made on a CNC mill and work really slick. I get $35 for them shipped. If interested PM me your phone number and I will call and tell you about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No smaller hole needed. Im eliminating the need to drill that pilot hole. This is more of a jig than a template. Its 1/2 thick so it will hold your full sized drill bit exactly in place without walking.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The ones I make are made out of 1" plate and come with 2 bushings for drilling. I start them with a 1/4" bit then replace the bushing with a 17/32" bushing for final hole. Much easier than trying to push a 17/32" drill in one pass.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Much easier than trying to push a 17/32" drill in one pass."

Not true at all. I own my own Mustang repair and have done many of these. I can actually do this quicker with the one bit. Too many operations changing drill bits and bushings. Its not at all tough to drill thru an 1/8 inch of soft steel. The use of a smaller bit acts as a pilot when using a paper template to keep the larger bit somewhat centered and keep it from walking.

·
Registered
315 Posts
"Much easier than trying to push a 17/32" drill in one pass."

Not true at all. I own my own Mustang repair and have done many of these. I can actually do this quicker with the one bit. Too many operations changing drill bits and bushings. Its not at all tough to drill thru an 1/8 inch of soft steel. The use of a smaller bit acts as a pilot when using a paper template to keep the larger bit somewhat centered and keep it from walking.
Really?????????? I am a tool & die maker by trade. I bet I have drilled more holes this year than you drilled in your lifetime and you are going to tell me it is easier to drill one 17/32 hole than one with a pilot hole. Really???????????????

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure why you started attacking my methods in the first place but if you would have checked my bio you would see i am also a machinist and have been for many years. I am a lead machinist and utility operator for a worldwide company (Xtek inc) in Cincinnati. Not sure of your age but im 60 and also retired Air Force jet engine Technician so i highly dought you've done ANYTHING in your life more than i have seen or done. We are not drilling thru 1/2 inch heat treated steel here. I dont have a problem with my method. If you do then do it your way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts