Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide power goals for my car (64.5 w/ a 302) so I can come up with a plan. The car will be a daily driver, not a racing car. However, I want it to have some balls to impress the ladys ;) Anyway, is 300 net bhp to the wheels overkill? I'm looking for enough power so I can cruise at like 45/50 mph and still spin the wheels if I lay into it. What would I need to reach that? How about 250 net bhp to the wheels, is that more reasonable? I'm just looking for ballpark modifications, like cam, carb, etc. etc. I am doing a complete resto mod, so everything will be changed anyway, I am just trying to come up with a plan.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You can get this to the rear wheels with 302 honest cubes (standard bore) 9.5:1 compression, stock Iron heads (ported), Tri-Y headers, mild mechnical roller cam and a simple Holley. It's not 300 but it's 294.5 (so who's counting right?) Had the kid running the pull stayed in it till 7000 we would have easily been there, (he was scared). Yeah I know it was way rich too.
http://home.houston.rr.com/jonescbjcj/Photos/dyno/Dynorun,9.5to1,Holley650,crowerroller,1280.jpg

If you want part numbers I can send them.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
That's about what mine is. It's a daily driver, too. So something similar to my setup could be a goal to work towards. . .

Specs:

Bottom:
'86 5.0 roller block
Stock crank, rods, Kb pistons, edit:F303 cam
balanced and blueprinted

Air/Fuel:
Trick Flow heads port matched to Weiand Stealth Intake pn 8020, SpeedDemon 650, Holley Blue electric pump
Compression-9.837:1

Ignition:
MSD 6A and 8579 dist, Ecklin 42k coil, NGK FR4s gapped at .056

Driveline:
C4-stage 2 shift, 3000(?) stall, Alum driveshaft, Currie 3.55 8" with non tapered Currie axles

Exhaust:
Hedmann Shortys, 2-1/2" pipes, Dynomax SuperTurbos

Best ET: 12.8 @ 109mph, 7k shifts! :)

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/1145806/47189652.jpg

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/1145806/52687680.jpg

Robert

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Even the corvette with over 400 bhp wont shred the tires at 50mph.

the viper will if you power shift to 3rd however... ::

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, depends on how we're defining shred tires.

If we're talking long chirps, I'm doing that with my mild 351W ('bout 320HP not bhp) through a T-5 and geared rearend. And on 245 Nitto 555's that's pretty good since I can get them up to like 60mph.

Anyway, long burnouts at 50 are gonna be impossible in a cool car...but man, you could put skinnies on it and it would work.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Not to sound picky, but you are mixing up your terms a little. "Net" horsepower by definition is measured at the flywheel, not the drive wheels. It's measured using SAE conditions and with all accessories in operation. What you are refering to is wheel horsepower, not net.
As far as breaking traction at 45-50, that's going to depend on your tires also. If you put stock 14" bias plys on that Corvette another poster mentioned, you would definitely "shred your tires" if you layed into it at 45-50.
Anyway, I've always thought the idea was to "get" traction, not "lose" it. What am I missing here? ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
For the record, breaking tires loose 40-50 MPH denotes a pooly executed performance plan. While young men and woman may think it is cool to downshift at 50 and spin the tires to intimidate a ricer next to them or to impress the girl in the car with them, all it does it show how much performance potential you are LOOSING in poorly tuned and executed components.

DT has trouble making noise when I hit second (either in a downshift or an upshift) and at first I was dissapointed with that aspect of my performance after hearing all the stories about people with stroker motor spinning all the way through the second gear....but then I came to the realization while driving one day...while I was leasurely walking away from the car next to me without a noise out of my tires....that I was going RFF,,,and I had got to the speed faster than anything I had ever driven in the world before....and the car next to me was doing nothing but making noise with his tires and getting smaller and smaller in my mirror.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I hope you didn't think I was confused. I clarified which HP I was talking about.

Gave my post because the original ? is about how much and I figured I was in the ballpark.

By the way, I have no accessories except an alternator so I'm at minimal driveline loss. Do the math: 10-20% loss? That'd put me in the really high 200's.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Those are impressive numbers to say the least.

I suspect the solid roller/Powerheads are the strong contributors. ;)

How is the Holley 650 jetted and did you get the BSFC from the dyno run?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts