Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should use their supplied lubricant. Hopefully it won't leak. Comments?

I did buy a new rear seal but the old one is not leaking at all. It's a low mileage motor, I'm tempted to leave sleeping dogs lay.

·
Registered
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mark, I haven't opened the tube yet. It says lubricant and not sealer. Who am I to argue, I'll use it. I'm hoping to get my car in the driveway tomorrow to start the heart transplant.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I personally would never use any thread sealant with teflon in it, that stuffs for plumbers. I use loctite 545 thread sealant for automotive and industrial applications.

And IMO putting thread sealant on the bolts for a flywheel is more critical than for a flex plate. A little seepage on the torque convertor is no big deal, but seepage on your clutch disc could glaze it over.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I personally would never use any thread sealant with teflon in it, that stuffs for plumbers. I use loctite 545 thread sealant for automotive and industrial applications.

And IMO putting thread sealant on the bolts for a flywheel is more critical than for a flex plate. A little seepage on the torque convertor is no big deal, but seepage on your clutch disc could glaze it over.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That's the stuff I use. My swiss cheese brain couldn't pull up the name.

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
if you use the arp you need to use the arp torque specs. if you use 30w engine oil you need to torque the arp bolts to ford specs. i use permatex WHITE Teflon paiste on all bolts that will be in oil or water. i torque to factory specs.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
mark, I haven't opened the tube yet. It says lubricant and not sealer. Who am I to argue, I'll use it. I'm hoping to get my car in the driveway tomorrow to start the heart transplant.
That stuff only goes under the flat area of bolt heads (not thread) to keep them from binding so you can get the correct torque.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
if you use the arp you need to use the arp torque specs. if you use 30w engine oil you need to torque the arp bolts to ford specs. i use permatex WHITE Teflon paiste on all bolts that will be in oil or water. i torque to factory specs.
Are you putting any thread locker on your flywheel bolts?

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
Are you putting any thread locker on your flywheel bolts?
nope. if the crank has holes i use permatex white teflon paiste and torque to ford specs. if the crank does not have holes i use 30w motor oil and torque to ford specs. i have installed many flywheels since the 1970's and the never came loose or leaked. i started using arp flywheel bolts in the mid 90's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts