Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got all guages working after voltage regulator went out and zapped my CVR on the dash. Had to replace the oil pressure guage. My speedo was fine before. But I have read you should lubricate it when you have a chance. So I gave it a couple of small shots of Super Lube, dri-film lubricant with syncolon. Now the needle is very jumpy. Is the lubricant the likely culprit? Will it dry out and correct after time? What else can I do? I REALLY don't want to pull the instrument bezel out again, 67 with air, kind of a pain. thanks greatly for any help!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Lot's of prior posts on this subject. Wrong lube? Kink in the cable line? Sounds like you might not have used enough lube. If forced to take out the bezel, I used JohnPro's method of soaking the cable in Marvel's Mystery Oil and had good results. I also shot MMO down the cable tube. No more probs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I would suspect some of these, but it did work perfect before I ever lubed it, and the cable was barely moved at all.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had the same problem after lubing the cable.
What I did was reach throught the heater bezel opening and disconnect and reconnect the speedo cable. I made sure it was seated all the way then tighten it as much as I could by hand.
After doing this it corrected the problem. The speedo is not jumping around anymore.

Let me know if it help your problem.

K

·
0 Posts
I went through 3 cables. My 2nd one jumped so bad it bent the needle when it rammed itself past the speedo stop. I lubed mine too to no avail. The culprit was the routing getting near the 390s high temp exhaust and playing havoc with the outside cable tube(melting) and hindering the cable movement. Also you might check the connection between the cable and the speedo. Since you did remove it during lube, that was the only thing changed. Small teenage hands are good for reaching behind the speedo. ::

G

·
0 Posts
As the old saying goes, don't try to fix something that's not broken! I do the same thing. Think you are doing the right thing and it turns out to be more troubles. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts