Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked before, but getting ready to purchase exhaust for my 66 A code with GT trumpets which I want to keep. I believe its a pretty stock built 289 with standard manifolds which I will be keeping also. I like the sound (from Waldron's website) of the Arvinode exhaust but have heard some videos with the trumpets and it sounds a little raspy. What does the factory GT exhaust sound like compared to the Arvinode? I've never heard the factory GT exhaust that I know of. Is the factory exhaust louder or quieter with the resonators? I drive it often and want a throatier sound than the turbo mufflers that were on it.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
You can always use some glass packs, haha!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
The 66 factory GT exhaust will be quieter than the Arvinode exhaust. If I am not mistaken the Arvinode type system was factory for early K code GTs but was replaced in March of 65 because they were too loud. Yes, an Arvinode can be "factory correct", just not for a 66...or non K code.

Read up on the system. They do not use a "muffler" but rather a piece of pipe cut to a length designed to rebound a reverse pulse to cancel the exhaust tone within a certain RPM range. Your driving habits and rear end ratio will determine your RPM and if you drive lots in the wrong RPM range the exhaust may be that much louder.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a 67 with a dual exhaust with mufflers. I think thats what you refer to as factory GT, even though factory GT was not that. I also have a 67 with Arvinode starting at Hipo manifolds. The Arvinode is a better sound by far. It's quiet enough at idle, but you definite know there is a muscle car running. Through most normal driving, its not bad, and no drone. When you get on it, like over 3k, it is definitely loud. Not obnoxious, in my opinion, but loud. My dual muffler setup is much more tame, but still a lot better than a stock single exhaust.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I have the Arvinode exhaust on my 65 with a mildly build 331 and full headers. It's loud but kind of cool sounding.

A video of a run last year.

Reactions: Huntingky
1 - 6 of 6 Posts