Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get one of my 66 Coupes ready for my Church upcoming car show on August 11th. I'm on the committee and would like to have it entered, and not be the only one with out one in. I'm thinking, no matter how hard I try this isn't going to happen! If any of you know how much time I'm looking at finishing up the list below, please let me know. My work schedule has been hectic, and I have only been able to put 4 or 5 hours a week into the 66. I'm hoping next week I can put at least 20 hours or so into it, but since I'm in the newspaper industry, that will only happen if no major breaking NEWS stories happen over the next week. Israel and Pakistan has been keeping me busy /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

* Replace front & back seat upholstery along with new seat buns in front.
* New carpet
* replace windshield gasket
* pull engine and paint & detail compartment and engine
* sand, prep and primer body
* remove & replace all chrome & trim (before & after paint job)
* Paint (will be taking to Maaco)
* detail lots of small stuff

I would of preferred to paint the car myself, but as I am running out of time, this probably won't happen.

G

·
0 Posts
Hhhmmm, took us bout 2 years to do that. Not what you wanted to hear is it?
The body work is gonna be the most time consuming, the other stuff is not that
long of a proccess. My advice is don't rush it, if you make it, fine, if you don't, that's
fine too.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the body is in excellent condition, no real body work unless you call scratches in dings in the original paint, body work! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm not taking it down to metal either as it's the original paint, and no rust to deal with at all.

I'm not looking at getting to show condition as in "Trophy winner!" Just in exceptional very clean daily or weekend driver condition which would get some Oohs & Aahs!

G

·
0 Posts
Pushing you project for the sake of a show is probably the wrong idea. You will hate the stuff that is Half-a$$ed. Take it as a work in progress if you must take it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Replace front & back seat upholstery along with new seat buns in front.
5-6 hours

* New carpet
2 hours considering the seats are already out for replacing in step one /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

* replace windshield gasket
1-2 hours after you remove all the trim for paint anyway.

* pull engine and paint & detail compartment and engine
All weekend (or longer). Better idea might be detail with engine in car. Use aluminum foil to mask things. I did my daughter's entire engine and bay in a day and it came out great. I did already have the intake, radiator, fan and water pump off to replace bad pump and leaky intake gasket, though.

* sand, prep and primer body
Depends on how smooth you want it. I spent 2 days on my son's car, 2 days on my daughter's car, and 2 weeks on my car. I should have spent about a month longer on each one.

* remove & replace all chrome & trim (before & after paint job)
3/4 day to remove, 1 1/2 - 2 days to put back on (you go much slower when you're scared of scratching the new paint).

* Paint (will be taking to Maaco)
3 days

* detail lots of small stuff
2 hours to 3 years depending on how much stuff /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Why not take the '67 to the show and let the '66 make it's debut some other time?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Maaco took 5 days for my car to cure and everything. They did an excellent job on mine... As long as you maintain it, their paint can last a LONG time and look VERY good. I think they take better care of classic cars there..

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey John,

Thanks for the time-line on the work. It will be tight, but will give it a shot. As far as the convertible... Are you kidding? You guys couldn't get me to show it at Knotts in front of thousand of folks I will probably never see again, and you want me to enter it in a local show, and for that matter my church, with folks I see every week! hehe! your joking right! haha! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously, the convertible has 4 coats of paint which I do want to strip to metal, and I need to replace certain body panels such as the hood, deck lid, rear valance and possibly the doors, which I have none of yet. The interior needs completely replaced which I don't have yet as well, including interior paint, and since I am converting it to a tach-dash, in-dash a/c, PDB, and power steering which I do have, but will take much longer since I only want to pull it apart once. Way to much work!

The 66 I have already done quite a bit that you can't see, and basically the only things left is the cosmetics in which I already replaced the dash pad, door panels, kick panels, and already have the new upholstery waiting to go in. The engine & tranny was rebuilt a few years a go which still is like new since I maybe only drive it 1k to 2k miles a year. I think much easier task at hand than the vert.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts