Vintage Mustang Forums banner

As my engine build progresses, I need advice

976 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  2nd 66 
#1 ·
So, I have read, and re read, and researched, and I'm still blurry, so I am just gonna ask some simple questions, and hopefully get good suggestions!

I need the following items:

Distributor-I know I can have my orignal rebuilt, and will probably go this way, but am I correct that I have to know engine specs before I do this?

Alternator-Believe I have the original, but would like to upgrade this to handle more electronic stuff(we'll leave it at stuff)

Water pump

Carburetor-Have the original 2bbl, would like to go to a 4bbl.

Radiator-Again, have the original, do I need a bigger one?

Thanks in advance for all your awesomeness!

#3 · (Edited)
Alternator:
There are plenty of original looking units out there that have been built to provide higher output. You could also look into doing a 3G alternator (highly recommended by many here, I can't speak for or against it myself), or you could go the 1-wire GM style alternator route (not really recommended but it works if wired up correctly). Your final choice here will really depend on how much "stuff" you plan on running.

Water Pump:
I've always used quality stock style replacements without issue, but Flowkooler and Edelbrock have some interesting options too.

Radiator:
I run a 24 inch champion radiator on my mild 302 (it's actually happystang's old radiator) and it works great, but is probably overkill for what I actually need. Plenty of cars running around out there with stock size radiators that do fine, but again this will depend on your build.

Distributor:
Send your original distributor to the Mustang Barn along with all the specs for your car that you have (cam, rear gear, transmisson, carb, intake, etc..) along with an HONEST assessment of how you will use the car, and Dan won't steer you wrong.

Carb:
Offhand I'd say Autolite 4100 or the Summit carb which is basically all the good parts of the 4100 and a Holley carb (I can't remember the part number right now, but I'm sure someone will link it) I, nor anyone else can suggest anything more specific than that without some other specs and the intended use of the car.

All the information I gave is pretty general, to have anything more specific you'll need to provide other specs (intake, heads, cam, etc..) and the intended use of the car. We can't give good recommendations without some more information.

EDIT: Sorry, I was typing this when you posted the “missing” information. I'll let those that are running the Eddy kit take it from here.

#4 ·
Alternator:
There are plenty of original looking units out there that have been built to provide higher output. You could also look into doing a 3G alternator (highly recommended by many here, I can't speak for or against it myself), or you could go the 1-wire GM style alternator route (not really recommended but it works if wired up correctly). Your final choice here will really depend on how much "stuff" you plan on running.

Water Pump:
I've always used quality stock style replacements without issue, but Flowkooler and Edelbrock have some interesting options too.

Radiator:
I run a 24 inch champion radiator on my mild 302 (it's actually happystang's old radiator) and it works great, but is probably overkill for what I actually need. Plenty of cars running around out there with stock size radiators that do fine, but again this will depend on your build.

Distributor:
Send your original distributor to the Mustang Barn along with all the specs for your car that you have (cam, rear gear, transmisson, carb, intake, etc..) along with an HONEST assessment of how you will use the car, and Dan won't steer you wrong.

Carb:
Offhand I'd say Autolite 4100 or the Summit carb which is basically all the good parts of the 4100 and a Holley carb (I can't remember the part number right now, but I'm sure someone will link it) I, nor anyone else can suggest anything more specific than that without some other specs and the intended use of the car.

All the information I gave is pretty general, to have anything more specific you'll need to provide other specs (intake, heads, cam, etc..) and the intended use of the car. We can't give good recommendations without some more information.

EDIT: Sorry, this was posted before you said you would have an Edelbrock top end kit. I'll let those that are running the Eddy kit take it from here.
Car will mostly be street use, and some spirited driving, not tracked or racing.

#6 ·
As for radiators I have a 20" (stock size) aluminum two row in my 67 and it's been plenty of cooling for me (though I guess I'm in the NYC area, you might want something bigger if you're in a warm climate). Definitely a good idea to replace the old one since if it's original it probably has lots of crud built up inside and won't work too well.

Also this is up to personal preference, but if you're already upgrading your electrical system I'd go for an electric fan. Probably some of the cheapest horsepower you'll find since even a clutch fan takes ~10 hp minimum, though you may prefer mechanical. Either way at least use a clutch!

#11 ·
This is the carb being referenced:https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-14...109&sr=8-7&keywords=edelbrock+1406+carburetor

However, no doubt, the Holly guys will weigh in with their favorites too. Carb choices are very "fluid" around here. I ran a 1405 (manual choke) for many trouble free years. Some will weigh in with the need for a slightly smaller 550 CFM version. However, should you decide later, on a more aggressive street cam, headers, and better heads, the 600 will be better suited. A dual plane manifold should be considered for a spirited street ride. I always advise build for Torque, if you want a nice street ride.

Reactions: dale1bre
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.