Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-painting my dash panel and I think today was the first time I have ever, ever, looked in the dash ash tray. The inside (where the ashes would go) is terribly rusty, and below the rust, I can't tell if there is black paint or if it is just gunk. Can anyone tell me how to finish the inside and the outside (not the dash-color painted part, but the outside of the part that holds the ashes) for a '65 convertible?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,506 Posts
The inside of the ash tray wasn't painted, it was a natural zinc metal. I had the same problem with my fastback's ashtray (which also was rusted inside), so I sanded it well, then painted it with a primer then a silver cad paint to make it look nicer. It's never going to be used anyways. ;)

·
Administrator
13,023 Posts
Welcome to the forum! With mine, I just cleaned it up with Simple Green and sprayed it the same color (black) as the outside. How about filling out your bio and letting us know a little about what kind of car you have? Is it a daily driver? Concourse?
Stan

·
Administrator
13,023 Posts
Hey Laurie
I just realized that I registered a day before you did!!! Not that I'm at your stature but I found that kind of interesting! LOL
BTW, how's the leg doing?
Stan

·
Administrator
19,506 Posts
That's because it took me a couple of days to figure how to transfer from the old forum! :: :: ::

Not doing too badly, although I think my physical therapists worked me too hard yesterday. I'm very mobile, but also very sore today. I'm kind of afraid to complain tomorrow as they might do it again. ::

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
with mine i drilled out the pop rivets which seperated the ash tray from the cover then dunked the ash tray in a solution of phosphoric acid which can be bought at any lowes home center the acid eats the rust off leaving a rust free piece then painted with a zinc color paint as for the cover i dunked this in another solution of M.E.K. which striped all the way to metal in a matter of minutes being that M.E.K. leaves no residue it only needed a light sanding with 600 grit and it ready for primer/paint then all you need to do is repop rivet back together
but hey that just me
you do what you want
chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm one of those (very few these days) people that actually is using the ash tray for its intended use, so I did like sinpac. But I brought the receiver (where those stinky butts go) and had it zink chromate plated, $ 15.00 it cost me. Then I had the front cover painted and pop riveted it back,,Like brand new,,

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hmmm... what is this bucket o' phosphuric acid you speak of? and where is it in teh store? I have never seen such a thing. I know my autoparts store here has an acid that they give me for aluminum, but I have never seen a big ole tub at Lowe's.

also, you said you yanked the poprivets and so did another person... why? why not just dip the whole thing then scuff up teh plating on teh front side and shoot body color over it? maybe I shoudl go get my ashtray to refresh my memory. :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It depends on if you just want to get it cleaned up nice, or if you are going for concours.....

If you just want it nice, a light bead blast will get the gunk out and leave it with a nice satin finish.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Home Depot sells phosphoric acid in gallon bottles, I don't remember the brand name...might be ospho or osphoric, it is usually found near the pressure washers in the garden area.
You have to hunt for it, and don't expect anyone there to know where it is...every time I asked for it all I got was blank stares..but it's there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
For the acid I buy Concrete floor etch, the stuff one use before painting concrete floors. A rusty piece left overnight looks brand new after.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Mine didn't have an ash tray when I got it. The PO installed a radio back in the 70s that hung too low, so they just ditched the ash tray and bracket.

Bought a used one, bead blasted it, painted the inside with clear and the outside with primer and black. The rust left pock marks and a couple of pin holes, but I'll never use it anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts