Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have all the pieces for my 68 GT 350 puzzle, but have a few question in regard to assembly. I have the correct hood, headlight buckets, lower valance and front upper nose panel and they all fit nicely. I talked to a GT 350 owner the other day and he told me that I cannot mount the headlight buckets( fiberglass ones) until I get the innards installed ( steel headlight buckets..brakets). Is this true? It looks like there's an aweful lot of room in there to move around...is the steel bucket that big as to where it won't fit through the opening? Also...There is a piece..a steel piece..for the fog lamps to bolt to that lies underneathe the front lip of the lower valance. I have to really bend the valance upwards to meet the headlight buckets to form a smooth lower piece. Is this piece tappered to make this happen or do I have to rig it to work right? Speaking of headlight buckets, where do those steel bracket attatch to inside the fiberglass? I assume that one bolts where the fender bolts go, but what about the other one?

I realize this is a lot of questions, but I want to make this an exact clone and want the parts to work right and fit right as well. I tried to buy a 68 GT 350 assembly manual but everywhere I called they have been sold out. Now that I have a Boss 302 in storage, I really want this project done so i can start restoring that one. Any help would be appreciated..please e-mail direct to [email protected] and thanks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
..and I was going to help, until I read you were building a clone. Seriously, the headlight buckets are mounted first, then the fiberglass in front of them. There is a headlight "bucket" (looks like a helmet. It has two brackets, these need to be spaced off the brackets with u-nuts. One is screwed into the fender and the other is mounted in the fender bolt holes by the radiator. The fiberglass mounts over the top of this assembly also bolting to the fender. Original parts do not fit properly, especially the left side headlight bucket. Is your glass original or repro? Do you have any spares? If you need a picture, I might be able to send you one, just email me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts