Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently converting my standard in terior to deluxe. but the one thing that puzzles me are how the door pulls mount. can you guys help me with a diagram or tell me how i can do this
thanks chris

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yours is a 68, so do you have the delux door panels yet? If so, the locations for the pulls are already cut out. Mine came with delux from the factory. Do you have the pulls? The wood grained peice on the chrome end pulls off gently, and there is a screw hole for a sheet metal screw that screws into your door. You may need to drill a pilot hole first, but it is a very easy straigh forward process.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
John has the deluxe so it seems simple for him... ::
I took masking tape and taped across the area that I believed the screws would need to go. I set the panel onto the door then marked through the holes onto the masking tape.(removed the panel) One mark had the door panel/metal to screw to. the other hole was lining up in an openning.(no backing)
I built a backing plate out of heavy gauge sheetmetal. Maybe a 2 inches wide, and long enough to cover the openning gap and get both screws for the handle to go through.I drilled holes to match the handle. I mounted the backing plate to the door(screws) then mounted my panel and screwed the handle on from there....Hope this makes sense?

Without the backing plate screwed to the door....the 1st time you use the pull....you'll pull it right out of your outter panel.

·
Registered
981 Posts
they make backing plates for the pulls.I believe NPD has them reproduction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts