Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think you're on to something. I've been running into several small things the PO pulled. The car is a 69 Mach1, 351, 4spd with the tach inst. cluster (indicator light) BUT it has the factory gages mounted in place of the ashtray on the console, one of them is an ammeter. When first started the charging system reads 12.5 volts and the interior lights are steady, when you rev the engine up some the voltage jumps and the lights begin to pulse noticeably. Once the voltage jumps it stays high. The PO said the battery had been going dead but his "mechanic" had fixed it.

68 restomod coupe
69 Mach1
67 coupe Son's

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like a wiring problem but could be a defective VR. Come back with an e-mail address and I'll give you a checklist tonight.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the vr was it also, this is the second one and NAPA checked it yesterday. Looked closer and found a lot of "new" tape in places. I'll start opening up the harness and wait for the list. Send the check list to [email protected]
Thanks for your help, Dennis

68 restomod coupe
69 Mach1
67 coupe Son's

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's one to take into account on the check list. I just found a white w/black trace wire hidden under some new tape. It has a spade end on it that looks like it would snap into the vr plug. In addition the "S" terminal in the vr plug is empty. The only wiring diagram I have access to is too small to read the colors. I'm begining to think the PO's mechanic's name was Dewayne.

68 restomod coupe
69 Mach1
67 coupe Son's

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cluebird has landed !!! Since the "S" terminal on the VR is not being used, the VR does not know when to shut off full battery voltage going to the rotating field of the alternator. This is resulting in the alternator continuing to generate maximum voltage. Sent off a wiring chasing plan earlier today. Think we have the technology on this one.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts