Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.I volunteered to take over while Mark is gone.What would you like to see for auction? Help me out please....Jim

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
just a suggestion, maybe choose items that apply across all years (65-73), like the selection of M+ valve covers you just had. If you auction something for 2 model years only (65-66 or whatever), you really cut down on the potential bidding market. I know this isnt always possible, but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Gift certificates would be very cool. I dunno if you could get anybody to donate them, but they would sure be easier to bid on than specific parts that I don't need.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My suggestion is similar to LMan's, things that are not specific to any model year. I also think that items that are collectibles, and not car parts, would be hot sellers.

Models, posters, Ford/Shelby banners, etc. Even though I recently sold my car, and am not in the market for any parts right now, I would always be interested in cool mustang paraphernalia.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My Shopping list includes:

Carpet kits
Valve Covers - Black Aluminum
Fold Down Seat parts
kick panels w/speakers
One of those Mustang Clocks!
The nice mustang floor mats - Fits all years!
Sill plates

Thats just a few items that I would be bidding on if I saw them on the auction.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Jim Felt I should say somthing here. Iam not sure if everyone understands how I aquire these items. I do not purchase any of them, they are all donated completly via a vendor or person. This way all monies raised go directly to VMF and there is not outlay of money etc only expense is my time and those who help me like yourself and Antohony recently.

When I approach these guys I DO NOT ask for spectic items, I leave that totally up to them. This way they may have overstock on particulat item etc and more than willing to donate item of larger value. I always offer option of them giving gift cert, so winner can just pick what he or she wants. In some cases that has been done in the majority they choose to donate items.

Its kinda hard going to these people with hand out and tell them what they should give, those having shopping list are really unrealistic this is never going to be a store type auction where you can get anything and everything you want to finish your car.

In the past I have asked for help from those who have ins with particular companies etc to help me by either contacting them directly on our behalf or at least put me in contact with correct person and lay the ground work. I must say not had alot of reponse in that area with few exceptions.

What would really help us in securing additional donations if some memebers would spend a minute and drop these vendors letters and or emails thanking them and letting them know we appreciate there donation. I always do so but if they got like 20 responses Iam sure the next time I hit them up they would have great feeling about the whole program. You don't even have to be interested in a item to drop them a note or phone call or next time you order from vendors who do surport mention to them you are ordering from them because of the surport they have shown us.

There are hundereds and hundreds of potential donators out there not even scrathced the surface yet, but please anyone who feels they can help with this type of thing step forward and be counted.

Mark

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Something you might suggest for the companies to donate if they want is a percentage off coupon . Like say a 25% off your order . If Im fixing on ordering $1000 worth of items from someone , that could save me a bit . If I only plan on ordering $150 , it still saves me some . The bonus is for the retailer if you don't use the coupon they have nothing in it :)
The other bonus is they still sell items and then will get a chance to impress apon the customer thier service ,etc.
If they do a good job certainly the high bidder will return here to praise them , which in turn will lead to more sales . I know it would be a huge chunk to eat $250 off a order but IMO the retailer would break even off the profit seen from the other $750 they sold .
I like the parts listings myself too , just like someone else said it's hard to make a auction that has parts be good for all years . With as you said the retailers get a chance to move overstock it makes it hard to be a begger/chooser . Perhaps you guys could add a banner to the forum for the retailer who is offereing the auction items this/that week to help "boost" the free advertisement they receive for offereing up a donation .
Id really like to see some sheetmetal auctions also , would be real nice if you could get a all years type auction (like tail light panel for a 65-73 auction) winning bidder gets choice of year . How-to books would also be good , you know the ones they have in almost every catalog , including manuals .

·
Registered
952 Posts
Mark, Sorry I was just posting some things I would be interested in and would rather the funds go to Bob if possible.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I think thats a great idea and one I had not thought of. I will in future offer that as idea to all potential donors. I would think that would be great incentive to them that way they get orders sell merchandise and winners get savings. I like it, Have to see if it works but I'll bet its a winner.

Mark

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Hey Jim. I've got a question.
When an Ironworker runs an auction, does he use a gavel, or a 4 pound beater?
I'll get back to you later with a couple of auction donations, so get that sleaver bar polished up and see how much cash we can pry loose.
Maybe we can get your bolt bag full.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Autographed items go well...

Dont rule out items that are not for mustangs, Im sure you could auction off a signed basball, photo or Anna Kournakova sports bra. Just about anything will go, look at [censored], if you put it up, someone will buy it. But, dont stop with the car goodies :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts