Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm not into the audio scene at all. I know the ins and outs but most of it is knowledge from 10 years ago. I'm looking to add a little kick to the convertible, nothing that will shake the decklid with the old rattle and hum. Just a little more punch. I listen to rock almost exclusively so I don't need a "bumpin' system" to rock the place with a little 50 cent ::

The Powered Bazooka tubes are designed to be corner targeted, which is right where I would have it in the trunk. I don't have room for another amp at this time and I don't want to get into fabbing my own box right now.

So the question is will I get anything out of an 8" Powered Bazooka tube in the trunk of my convertible? I mean my exhaust alone hardly allows anything but sweet engine sounds but I have a pretty nice setup up front with a RF MP3 Headunit, Kappas in the dash, and a set of 6.5" components in the kick panels ... the future will include some components in the rear quarters if Whizco can come up with something nice. The fronts are powered by a pretty hefty amp from Memphis Audio (don't have the specs at hand).

Will it do anything buy find a new home for my money?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
those things are crap, nuff said. Your better off going with a small amp, and a small 10" infinity setup

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The tubes don't sound to great... I put one 10" infinity in a small box in the corner of my trunk. I listen to rock also, the single 10" sub with small sealed box really puts some kick in the music. I actually got a little carried away with the whole stereo thing. One small amp and a sngle 8" or 10" will give you fantastic sound.
http://www.289mustang.com/images/amp6.jpg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your declid rattle. Back in the day I had 2 12s in my '67 coupe trunk and that thing buzzed like the bees nest.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just may give that one a shot... so should I save $100 via the eHay route or go to Circuit City and have the option to return it?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You might try asking a shop if you can "test drive" one.

I had a 10" Bazooka tube in my truck a couple years ago. It was okay, but, for less money, I could have had something better. I still believe you can have something better for less.

I've always heard good thing about Infinity subs, but no personal experience. I will never buy any of their speakers after my experience with their component speakers, though. When Infinity made amps, they were really nice. JL Audio subs kick butt, but everyone has them. Also, there are better speakers out there for less money.

When I buy subs, I always stick with Image Dynamics IDQ series. I had 4 12" IDQs in my extended cab S-10 for awhile. Just 1 of those kicked butt...owning one for awhile got me craving MORE! ;)

I'm out of the scene right now, but when I build my next system, I am probably going to go with 4 IDQ6 midbass speakers powered by Soundstream Lil Wonder amps.

Old school RF amps are excellent. I wasn't terribly impressed with Cadence amps. The old Infinity's were nice. Let's not talk about Pyramid. Jensen equipment will do the job, but they overrate the capabilities of their products big time. I wouldn't touch their speakers, though.

Okay...I'm done. I could go on and on and on about stuff that I've owned.

·
Registered
466 Posts
youd be suprised what one 10" would do, what kind it is really doesnt matter. its what you think sounds the best but i would try and stay away from the bazooka,sony, the cheap stuff. its cheap for a reason, it will blow and doesnt take much to do it. i like infinity like others have said and the set up that was showed would really get the job done for what you want. i got 2 12" infinities in my room that i plan on putting in my fox body. i just need the funds to get the rest of the parts, like a deck,amp,capacitor...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know about the EHay way. You just never
know how a used woofer was treated. I have done
a lot of reading, and one thing always pops up "the
break in period", would have to ask how was the break
in period?

Circuit City is a little more expensive than on line
but you do get the ease of taking it back, buying their
replacement warranty, they will even install it for you. Could be worth it.

Crutchfield is also pretty good, I have bought plenty of things from them, I bought Polk Audio Car speakers, for my
Coupe.

Piece of Mind.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well why haven't you guys mention a JL sub. They are the best subs out there. I run a pair of 12"s my trunk right now with a 4 channel 1000 watt amp. My JL speakers really only need a total 300 watts to really push them.

If I was you, Iwould get a single JL 10" W3 sub and I just run a single bass amp for it. You will be surprise at the sound you get out of it. Infinity is not known for their subwoofers and but they have great speakers. Well if money is the issue try Kicker or Pioneer(haven't blown those out yet). But if you want constant good bass and it would last almost forever get JL. You pay a little more but you would get the sound out of it especially in a convertible.

David

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you plan on installing the subs yourself, by of ehay. it is ppls way of making a livin selling stuff on ehay. they sell brand new equipment for 100 bucks less on some things. the deck im looking at, is like 400+ at a store, 320 max on ehay with shipping and no tax. givin no warranty but some of them will replace all their products no questions asked, not all but some. its where i would buy my subs if i could have do overs unless someone wants to buy 2 infinities references off me for 100 plus shipping

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I ordered one of those through gopcplus.com, brand new for a total of $222.91 with shipping. They accept returns so if the thing totally sux then it's back to them, and I can drive there if things get difficult.

It's not a serious setup but that's not what I'm after, just want to bring the lows up a bit to accent the highs I have up front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts