Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am new to this forum and in actual fact new to the vintage car scene! I have a 1970 Ford Capri here in Australia which has a 289 Winsor with 9 inch diff and C4 Transmission.
I have purchased the car site unseen from the North of Australia. Who I purchased it off does not know much about engine etc as he also bought it of someone else.
Sounds pretty stock. Has a 450 Holley with headers and twin exhaust.
I import products from USA so basically I am looking for a shopping list with your help and the best place to get the gear from.....
I want to increase HP to around 400 - 450HP, thinking a stroker, heads. I really want a wild cam and 4000rpm torque converter. Want it drivable on the street but reasonably wild.
Also B and M Shifter and disc brake conversion kit for Ford 5 Stud (front and back)
Trying to do this for as little cost as possible.....
Ps. I'm a rookie...

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Greetings from "up over" !
How 'bout some pictures of the little Capri?
I dunno what the duty is on bits from The States, but in US dollars, you're looking at $1000 US for heads and a cam, another $1k for an intake, carb, and headers for the inhale and exhale, and a third grand for a disc brakes setup. You could get a stroker engine for a few thousand as well if you're not looking to scream the 289. I dunno about how drivable a wild cam will be with a 4000 rpm convertor. Seems a bit much unless it will be just for the track. Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, duty free if made in good old USA! When I say drivable I mean down the street every few weeks. Definitely not a daily driver!
It is engineered for the 289 (engine swap) so I would prefer to keep it.
Are you saying it would it be cheaper to buy a 289 already done with 400HP from USA?
That's an option I hadn't thought of. Straight engine swap which I like the idea of.

Attached some photos....not that pretty...yet!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Cool car!

Have you tried it with the current engine yet? If you haven't changes are you'll find it plenty fast for the time being. A MK1 Capri with the 3 liter V6 weighs only 2500 pounds and a 289 only adds another 50 pounds. Plus some extra with for the 9 inch rear and the C4 transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's true...nope haven't driven it yet!
I reckon it will be pretty quick but I really want something that sounds pretty wild!
Is that possible with just a cam and torque converter and maybe a 650cfm carb?
What's the easiest way to get more HP without a full rebuild?
Still need to do brakes.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Stroke it to 347. Hydraulic roller cam. Edelbrock Airgap intake. 700 holley double pumper carb. AFE 185 heads. 1-3/4" long tube headers.

More power without rebuild > compcams extreme energy cam. 600 holley double pumper , edelbrock airgap intake. 1-5/8" long tube headers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks thinking the second option might be good for starters.
Also would a Thumpr be better or worse?
Where do you recommend in US to get this gear?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,798 Posts
Have you ever owned or driven a car with the specs youre requesting? Does Summit ship down under?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever owned or driven a car with the specs youre requesting? Does Summit ship down under?
Nope not with those specs, but HP yes. I can ship to one of my suppliers in the US and seafreight or airfreight if small parts. Is summit the main go to?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi mate,
i purchased my alot of my stuff from Summit- it was sometimes cheaper than buying locally !! Including the shipping.
Also VPW in Melbourne sometimes have good sales- I purchased my AFR165 heads during a sale....

cheers
Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mate,
i purchased my alot of my stuff from Summit- it was sometimes cheaper than buying locally !! Including the shipping.
Also VPW in Melbourne sometimes have good sales- I purchased my AFR165 heads during a sale....

cheers
Rob
Thanks Rob that's handy info! I will probably get some wheels through VPW, can get some prices off them but yeah I reckon Summit would be cheaper.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Welcome!

You'll get a lot of different opinions which is likely what you're expecting. Here are my suggestions:

- Build the 289 you have

- Order a stroker kit bumping up the cubes to 347

- There are many good aluminum head choices for the small block Ford, but right now availability is a challenge. So, look around to see what is actually on the shelf and ready to ship lest you get stuck waiting months on end for mystery heads

- I would go with a custom cam. The Thumpr cams are OK, but they're mostly designed to sound badass while pulling into the drive-in. I like Bullet Cams in Mississippi. They can grind you whatever you like and the guy who answers the phone is the guy who grinds your cam. Just tell him what you have and what you want

A stroked small block in a Capri will be one cool go-cart. Be careful and have fun!

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Yup. Won't happen easily with only 289 cubes.......

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,070 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Capri, but from the photo I was thinking it might benefit from adding an export and a monte carlo brace, particularly once you start putting all that horsepower into the chassis.

·
I won a special award
8,070 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Capri, but from the photo I was thinking it might benefit from adding an export and a monte carlo brace, particularly once you start putting all that horsepower into the chassis.
The original Mercury Capri cars were designed in Britain and made in Germany. There were imported into the U.S. They could be had with a 4 cylinder (1.6 liter, 2 liter or 2.3 liter depending on the year) or a V6. The German Capri was only sold from 1970-78. Starting in 1979, the U.S. made Fox body car (sibling to the Mustang) was adorned with the Capri name.

Reactions: richardsimon52

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,070 Posts
The original Mercury Capri cars were designed in Britain and made in Germany. There were imported into the U.S. They could be had with a 4 cylinder (1.6 liter, 2 liter or 2.3 liter depending on the year) or a V6. The German Capri was only sold from 1970-78. Starting in 1979, the U.S. made Fox body car (sibling to the Mustang) was adorned with the Capri name.
Thanks Max...great info. In particular I'm not familiar with the structure of the car. I know it's unibody, and wondered if it suffered from the same issues as the Falcon and Mustang, and could use additional support to the shock towers.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Considering where you are, the cost and time to get parts from the U.S., I think you are much better off working with what you have.

Since a V8 did not come in a Capri, I would thoroughly inspect the conversion work that was done to fit it into the car.

Don't discount the 289, it ran at Lemans.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts