Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I should let others know that those wanting an auto dimming rear view mirror, for their pre mirror-glued-to-the-windshield Mustangs, can have it with a little cutting and squashing (it won't look real pretty at first, but only you will know where the ugliness lurks after it is installed). I did this a few months ago, and completely forgot to post about it :p.

I pulled an auto dimming mirror from the junkyard one day, since the mirror in my Mustang was cracked. I had to cut the part that glued to the windshield off, the black cylinder that holds the spring to keep tension on the mirror rotating ball thingy (got that?). There is a little plastic bushing that presses up against the ball that is attached to the mirror, leave that in there. I then carefully squashed the cylinder enough so that it would fit in the little slot on my mirror bracket AND kept the mirror rotating ball tight. Kinda tricky, but it worked just fine. A little grinding and a hole drilling later it fit just fine. I ran the wire to power it straight up under the headliner lip and all the way down under the dash to a key on power source.

Overall, it was kind of a ghetto install, but it actually looks and works quite well. Once installed you can't see the hacked up mirror bracket attached to the bracket on the car, it hides itself.

This would all be a lot nicer if I had a picture or two to show exactly what I did... where's my camera?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found my camera...
http://home.comcast.net/~dciab/VMF/mirror1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~dciab/VMF/mirror2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~dciab/VMF/mirror3.jpg

Not the best pictures I have taken with a beer buzz, but it atleast will give you an idea...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think I'm more interested in that headliner in the pictures, what type of headliner is that? Ther mirror looks cool as well, good idea!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headliner is headliner material from the fabric store. I had my mother sew the two rear lower sections on in the back (where it goes down the side between the rear passenger window and the rear glass) because it isn't wide enough to do it in one piece. There is a layer of thin foam mat on top, held up by glue and the old headliner rods for insurance, then the foam headliner is glued securely to that. I like it, it looks smoother than the original style headliner, less "busy" and more modern. I'll maybe go take another full pic of the headliner soon so you can see it better...

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I took it one step further...and installed a mirror that included the map lites also....

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I took it one step further...and installed a mirror that included the map lites also....
Mind i ask which vehicle it came from? On my car there is a metal strip that runs the length of the windshield. I could run the wire up through the pillar post trim and under this metal strip and to the mirror. Beats removing the headliner. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
which vehicle it came from
Late model Mustang vert...

there is a metal strip that runs the length of the windshield. I could run the wire up through the pillar post trim and under this metal strip and to the mirror
Pretty much what I did...drilled a smallhole in the header chrome with a nice rubber grommet. Ran the wires under the header to the piller posts and down to power...Been a very nice added mod. :biggrin:

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Do you have any pictures? Sounds like a very worthwhile swap to make. I love the idea of the maplights as early Mustang interior lighting leaves much to be desired...

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Do you have any pictures? Sounds like a very worthwhile swap to make. I love the idea of the maplights as early Mustang interior lighting leaves much to be desired...
It was indeed a nice added kinda stealthy type mod....
I don't have any pics at the moment. I've been doing some garage updating.....new cabinets etc. So I've got the car basically in storage....but if you can bare with me for a week or two...I'll take some shots and post them for you. :highfive:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
A guy here at work added one with the compass, outside temp and auto dimming. He pulled some power off the back up lamps to override the dimming during back up. He put it on a early '90's car, mirror from a 2006 car.

Oh yea, glued to the w/s.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about the ones with map lights, but then remembered that I had more than enough lighting from my dome light already (earlier swap from a T-bird, has map lights built into the dome light). I can see that you would be hard pressed to install a dome light in your vert though :p. Glad to hear others have installed the "lazy man" mirrors.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I can see that you would be hard pressed to install a dome light in your vert though .
yeah....wiring would be a nightmare!.... :winkgrin:.. :lol:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Cool mods, guys! Good work, Dave.
BTW, Ken... can you wait until the Portland swap meet in April. It is a little warmer then, and I can work on my tan. :biggrin:
Do you have any pictures?
I don't have any pics at the moment... but if you can bare with me for a week or two...I'll take some shots and post them for you. :highfive:
:highfive: :joker:

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,721 Posts
Ha! Easy-peasy. When I put in my custom upper console I added 27 wires where there once was just single domelight wire. Map lights, "doppler" alarm sensor, 4 accessory rocker switches, and the transplanted Explorer outside temperature and electronic compass display. Wasn't really that bad to wire. OK, not to me anyways.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Does your mirror have the auto dim? I have a newer Mustang vert. It has the map lights and the dome light is actually the map lights but it doesn't have the auto dim function.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
It has the map lights and the dome light is actually the map lights but it doesn't have the auto dim function.
You can find both..with auto dim or without...either way, is a nice addition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heya Nylhtak,

What kind of car did he get the outside temp rear view mirror from? Was the temp until inside the rear view mirror or did it have to use another sensor?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts