Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this? I am putting a th400 behind my turbo 6.0 and the stock location is too far forward for a ratchet style shifter.

I'd like to move it back to a more comfortable spot. If just cover the old hole with a alum plate.

Just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I used a b&m ratchet shifter and slid it back so the console that came with it barely covered the factory hole and it seems to fit me perfectly

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've been eye balling this for awhile because I hate the location of the current shifter handle. The ratchet shifters are great ideas, check this one out, shiftworks.com has a nice cable shifter, but trying to find a handle that's short enough so it's not in your arm-pit is difficult. The shortest one I've been able to find is 8" and in my opinion is still too tall for a shifter handle in an early mustang. I was at the point where I even modified a spare OE shifter using a manual shifter tube (it is hollow and the exact same dia as the auto shifter handle) and reattached at the shifter base and rewelded the tip for the handle, then reused all the cable internals. I was able to lay the handle back about 2 inches and don't have to reach anymore. That with a custom detent, should be a nice set up once I get her on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts