Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe. C-code 289 v8, c4 trans
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, so apologies if this topic has been covered before. I have a 67 couple with a c4 auto and when shifting, it slides through the gears without having to push the shifter button. It doesn’t lock when it’s in park either. Do I need to replace the entire shifter, or just the lever? Or is there another part I’m not aware of that I’m missing? Thanks for your time everyone!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
There is a pawl that goes in dentents with a cable attached that the button controls which could be rusted ? Replacing the lever will fix. Wes

·
Registered
4,606 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,619 Posts
Maybe take the handle off with an Allen wrench and make sure the swedge ball is still attached to the end of the cable and hooked under the spring loaded actuator at the top of the shaft.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It's also possible that your button's just jammed and broken.

The button pushes a little plastic piece on the end of a wire that pulls the pawl up and out of the groove. I'm pretty sure there's a spring in there somewhere too.

When you take the handle off, take the bezel off of the floor too and you'll be able to see both ends of it and hopefully you'll be able to see the problem.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I've got mine open on my '67 but these shifters were used for a lot of models and years so pretty common. It's pretty easy to disassemble, remove a small (hex head I believe) screw from the front (dash side) of the T handle and lift up, the push button will want to fall out, also be careful not to drop the hex screw. Then remove the 4 screws retaining the shift indicator cover and you'll see this:

Either the pawl at the bottom that sits in the detents is broken or something else is amiss. I think if the lever/ cable you see at the top snapped it would get stuck in park. If you push that level at the top left of the shifter it's the same as pushing the button and should release the pawl at the bottom to change gears.
If you can't figure it out post a pic after you take it down to this level. I've pulled my carpet back, you don't have to.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe. C-code 289 v8, c4 trans
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help guys! I’ll take a look at it this weekend and see what’s going on with the pawl. I’ll post a pic if I can’t figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts